Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do i need to do for a SCOTUS clerkship?  (Read 10374 times)

vaplaugh

Re: what do i need to do for a SCOTUS clerkship?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
 :D

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
read mr. galt's statement. he's not being serious - he's mocking me.

No he's not.  What part of his statement is mocking you. It's possible to get a federal clerkship from a T4 (very hard, but also very possible).  It's also possible to turn this into a CoA clerkship.  How is he mocking you?  Also, you go to a T2 not a T4.

i guess you're right if T4 and T6 refer to HYSC and HYSCCN. i read him as joking about tier 6. also, the presence of creighton and pepperdine on the list.

I wan't joking about a T6, I was simply saying that it is possible (though difficult) to get a SCOTUS clerkship without going to yale, harvard, stanford... Basically, focus on getting a Fed District Court, State Suprme Court or CoA clerkship and go from there.

And I am 90% sure one of Justice Thomas's clerks went to crighton and one of Justice Alito's went to pepperdine, but the guy who went to pepperdine was his clerk on the CoA (how lucky is he?)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
At the risk of giving this person impossible hope, I have heard that SCOTUS judges occasionally select students who do not share their political views. 

not from tier 2s though, and i would like to think that scalia would be above that. 
Scalia frequently hires liberal clerks. A professor at my school is one. Of course, she also won the Sears prize at harvard law school (for being top of your class)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »
thanks for the detailed procedural information. as for my chances: i remember when all the doctors said i would never play the flugelhorn again after my accident, so i don't pay attention to people who tell me my goals are impossible.
case '09

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »
Is this Aleksey Vayner?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
thanks for the detailed procedural information. as for my chances: i remember when all the doctors said i would never play the flugelhorn again after my accident, so i don't pay attention to people who tell me my goals are impossible.

your goals are impossible... flame

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
Anyone can play the flugelhorn if they just believe in themselves enough.  Why are you such a downer to people trying to achieve their dreams?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
Anyone can play the flugelhorn if they just believe in themselves enough.  Why are you such a downer to people trying to achieve their dreams?

who is that directed to?

If its to me, i dont have a problem with people pursuing their dreams, but he clearly pursued them and failed (both when he couldnt get into a good law school and when he couldnt even manage to do well in a mediocre law school).  Then, he comes on here asking for advice and showing once again why he failed at everything legal he has done. 

Obviously the most prestigious clerkships wont go to mediocre candidates.  If he can prove me wrong, more power to him, but im still convinced he is just a flame.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 12:55:33 AM »
Is this Aleksey Vayner?

no. but i like the sound of that name.
case '09