Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do i need to do for a SCOTUS clerkship?  (Read 10068 times)

John Galt

• View Profile
Re: what do i need to do for a SCOTUS clerkship?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »
Scalia actually does hire clerks who share differing views from hom. I was once at a seminar by a professor who clerked for Scalia (on the CoA) who made Ralph Nader look like Rush Limbaugh. I suspect this isn't limited to scalia either.

A for SCOTUS clerkships, assuming this was real post, you need to focis on getting a clerkship with a feeder COA judge (you will notice that Justices seem to take their clerks from a certain CoA judges) not a SCOTUS judge. I may be mistaken, but I don't think any SC Justices take clerks directly from Law School.   

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:11:28 PM »
thanks for the feedback, esp. to lloyd and john galt, who alone addressed my question.

from the gossip website i was referred to, i see that i have another limitation that i hadn't reckoned with: i'm not quite a superhottie. but that can be remedied with some surgery and an improved exercise regimen. i'm not ready to accept defeat yet, in spite of the undoubtedly sincere and well-founded skepticism that some of you have expressed about my chances.
case '09

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »
Press on buddy, while it may not be possible to get a clerkship with the SCOTUS or CoA right out of lawschool from a T4, you could get a clerkship with a Federal district court judge, establish yourself, and parley it into a CoA clerkship. Though there are a lot of T6 schools, I am pretty sure the October 2008 term had, inter alia,  Univ of Wisc, George Washington, George Mason, pepperdine and creighton.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
Press on buddy, while it may not be possible to get a clerkship with the SCOTUS or CoA right out of lawschool from a T4, you could get a clerkship with a Federal district court judge, establish yourself, and parley it into a CoA clerkship. Though there are a lot of T6 schools, I am pretty sure the October 2008 term had, inter alia,  Univ of Wisc, George Washington, George Mason, pepperdine and creighton.

You've been on this board for a while.  How can you not realize that this is a flame?

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
read mr. galt's statement. he's not being serious - he's mocking me.
case '09

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »

No he's not.  What part of his statement is mocking you. It's possible to get a federal clerkship from a T4 (very hard, but also very possible).  It's also possible to turn this into a CoA clerkship.  How is he mocking you?  Also, you go to a T2 not a T4.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:04 AM »
You've been on this board for a while.  How can you not realize that this is a flame?

If it is fame, it was set up so well with the previous 100 or so post; I have to respect that.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »

No he's not.  What part of his statement is mocking you. It's possible to get a federal clerkship from a T4 (very hard, but also very possible).  It's also possible to turn this into a CoA clerkship.  How is he mocking you?  Also, you go to a T2 not a T4.

i guess you're right if T4 and T6 refer to HYSC and HYSCCN. i read him as joking about tier 6. also, the presence of creighton and pepperdine on the list.
case '09

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
anyway, maybe i should just focus on getting *on* the supreme court, instead. my school is higher-ranked than howard, and they got a guy on there. i think presidents are less selective with their SCOTUS appointments (and the senate with ratification) than the justices are with their clerkships.
case '09