Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General info  (Read 11763 times)

ESagent

• View Profile
General info
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
Just seeing if anyone could give me some general info on the school and Pittsburgh.  I was recently accepted (fall 08) and am considering between Duquesne and a couple other schools.  As of right now I am strongly leaning toward going to Duquesne.

-What is the curve like (I've heard it's brutal)?
-Are the professors good, bad, mixed?  Are they open and available to talk to?
-How is the Pittsburgh job market for grads?
-Is housing easy to get, close to the school and affordable?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these, I appreciate your help.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: General info
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:27:49 PM »
Duquesne used to be on a fail curve, I'm not sure if they still are, but what that means in short is: Yes, it is brutal.

Also, if you don't score in the top of your class (i.e. top 5-10%, law revue) don't plan on being firm employable......

I would save your money if you aren't getting a full-ride.

contractsgod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »
The curve sucks, yes, but it's manageable. Just don't plan on seeing lots of B's and A's. Besides that, employers in Pittburgh, for the most part, are aware of Duquesne's crappy curve so you won't be at much of a disadvantage to Pitt law. Surprisingly enough, many firms in Pittsburgh think more highly of Duquense than Pitt and are surprised to find out that Pitt is ranked higher. Just visit Pittsburgh and ask anyone, and he or she will tell you Duquense has an EXCELLENT reputation in town. As for being firm employable, I know many people on law review/top 10% that, to this day, don't even have jobs lined up for the summer and many people who are on the lower half, myself included, that do have jobs. So please don't let the scare of falling below a certain percentile deter you.

ESagent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:11:46 PM »
2LMan do you go to Duquesne or are you just throwing in your two cents without knowing what you're talking about?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
I go to GW, however, I have first hand account (family members) that went to duquesne.  they both work at a large firm in town now, but it is reality that it's not going to happen outside of the top of the class.  Sure, as the other poster said, you may not be unemployable, but you aren't going to K & L Gates being average at a crappy 4th tier law school.

Also, those people around town that say duquesne is a great school..... They aren't the ones that hire you and say this only because the undergrad. has some local respect.

Trust me, I wouldn't just blatantly bash duquesne considering I spent some undergrad there.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
I currently work at a T100 law firm... when I told them I got into Duquesne their response was... now graduate and you're in... That was from the partner who is head of my practice group.  Just goes to show what law schools like to tell you about how BigLaw works.

Dude, this is so bogus lol.  Come on now: You told a partner at Biglaw that you "got into duquesne" and they said "graduate and you are in?"  Give me a break. 

First off, ANYBODY can get into duquesne.  That isn't a flame, it's reality.  Their numbers are well below the LSAT and GPA averages of most law schools out there, hence why they are TIER FOUR.

Also, how about you march down to your career office and find out how many students end up in market paying jobs, because I assure you, it isn't much.

If you really want proof.  Just go to a major law firm and see how many duquesne grads show up.  Outside of pittsburgh, there won't be many, and outside of PA, even fewer.  Then, with those few that you do find.... Look at their stats and I assure you they are all either a) Old school partners that worked their way up, or b) Law review/top of their class.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
I currently work at a T100 law firm... when I told them I got into Duquesne their response was... now graduate and you're in... That was from the partner who is head of my practice group.  Just goes to show what law schools like to tell you about how BigLaw works.

Wow that is completely bogus.  V100 firms don't even say now just graduate and you are in to students from top 25 schools.  It doesn't really matter what law schools say.  Statistics pretty much speak for themselves.
Boalt Hall '10

nms194

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »

Then, with those few that you do find.... Look at their stats and I assure you they are all either a) Old school partners that worked their way up, or b) Law review/top of their class.

If you want to get into BigLaw at all right from the start then you have to either be top of your class or work your way up regardless of what school you go to.  Going to a T100 school and not doing well is not going to guarantee you a job anywhere.

And why come on these boards and put down a school people are excited about attending.  These people worked just as hard as you to get where they are there is no reason to put them down.

nms194

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Just seeing if anyone could give me some general info on the school and Pittsburgh.  I was recently accepted (fall 08) and am considering between Duquesne and a couple other schools.  As of right now I am strongly leaning toward going to Duquesne.

-What is the curve like (I've heard it's brutal)?
-Are the professors good, bad, mixed?  Are they open and available to talk to?
-How is the Pittsburgh job market for grads?
-Is housing easy to get, close to the school and affordable?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these, I appreciate your help.

My boyfriend is graduating from Duquesne this year and from what I've found is that he is going to have to start out in the Pittsburgh job market because he was not in the top of his class, but this is the truth regardless of whatever school you may attend.

As for housing, we rent a 2 br 2 ba townhouse in the South Side and pay $1200/month, it's a little steep in pricing but we have a driveway which is well worth the extra money.  Housing is very easy to come by, just check out craigslist and you will always find grad students in southside and shadyside area loking for roommates.

I will be a 1L this fall, most likely at Pitt, but I will ask my bf about the curve and professors.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
You think $1200 a month for a townhouse is expensive?  LoL, come to Washington. 

Also, T100, is another useless term to the other poster.  Those in the T25 don't have to be top of their class to get biglaw.  At Duquesne, you have to be top of your class for Biglaw and if you are average, you likely aren't even going to get a job..... These are things worth considering before investing $100k of debt.