Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jacksonville, Florida Coastal and general info  (Read 4246 times)

ESagent

• View Profile
Jacksonville, Florida Coastal and general info
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »
Just seeing if anyone could give me some general info on the school and Jacksonville.  I was recently accepted (fall 08) and am considering between Coastal and a couple other schools.

-What is the curve like?
-Are the professors good, bad, mixed?  Are they open and available to talk to?
-How is the Jacksonville job market for FCSL grads?
-Is housing easy to get, close to the school and affordable?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these, I appreciate your help.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jacksonville, Florida Coastal and general info
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »
I never considered going, but here's what ive heard so far.
One friend from high school went and he liked it ok.  He's actually doing very well, but i have no idea if he graduated top class or whatever.  i know he went on to get his llm in tax law.  he doesnt live or practice in florida.  the drawback is FC is one of the lower ranked schools in florida- you are competing with u of m and florida state and florida, plus like 6 other schools. 
ive heard through others that it was horrible...as far as facilities go and what not.  but its by the beach. 
my only draw is that it is for - profit and i love the university scene since i didnt have that "normal" college experience (went to military acad) and the sorority girls are bangin.  its good to have other people to associate with other than law schoolers, you will get sick of them real quick like.  on the other hand, undergrads are just that and they can be annoying as all hell.  but the girls are bangin.  what other schools are u lookin at?
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

ESagent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:38:14 AM »
Thanks for your help man...I'm also lookin at Duquesne and St. Mary's, TX.  I'm leaning toward Duquesne though.  What school you go to/going to?

cjprof4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
(SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS EVERYONE..... ITS THE LAPTOP)

ACTUALLY THE CURVE IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE TOUGHEST IN THE COUNTRY.  HOWEVER, THE BAR PASSAGE RATE HAS BEEN EITHER 1ST OR 2ND IN THE STATE FOR A FEW YEARS.

ALSO, I AM NOT FROM HERE BUT MY MOM HAS WORKED IN THE JACKSONVILLE LEGAL COMMUNITY FOR YEARS. THE REPUTATION HAS INCREASED EXPONENTIALLY.  I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERNS ABOUT GETTING A JOB AT ANY FIRM IN THE STATE OR IN PUBLIC SERVICE.  OUT OF STATE WILL DEPEND ON YOUR OWN KNOWLEDGE.  JUST FINISH STRONG AND BUILD YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE CLINICS.

BACK TO THE CURVE. JUST A WARNING.  THE SCHOOL HAS BEEN EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL IN RECRUITING QUITE A BIT OF HIGH CALIBER STUDENTS FROM EVERYWHERE.  WE JUST FINISHED FIALS....THOUGHT I ROCKED EM... NORMALLY DO ROCK TESTS...... BOY DID I HAVE TERRIFIC COMPETITON.  MANY PROFESSORS SAID IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IN FIRST SEMESTER EXAMS THAT THE CURVE ACTUALLY HURT AND DIDNT HELP EVERYONE. 

THE LAW CLINICS HERE ARE ALSO INCREDIBLE.  ON THAT NOTE, ALMOST ALL THE PROFESSORS I HAD WERE ALSO BEYOND WHAT I EXPECTED.  FORGET THEIR IVY LEAGUE CREDENTIALS........THEIR EXPERIENCE ALONE IS INVALUABLE AND MANY OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY QUITE HILARIOUS MOST OF THE TIME.

DONT LET IT FOOL YOU.... THE TESTS ARE NOT EASY AT ALL, ITS AL ABOUT THE POINTS YOU BUILD VS. EVERYONE ELSE.  YOU WILL MOST LIKELY NOT FINISH OR WILL AT LEAST BE A SPACE CADET FOR A WEEK AFTER.

THE STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE SBA, AND THIS IS "HEARSAY" FOR ME FOR NOW, ARE QUITE INFLUENTIAL AROUND THE SCHOOL AND HAVE QUITE A BIT OF ABILITY TO HELP BUILD THE SCHOOL REPUTATION.

LAST, I HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO DEAL WITH THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICE, THE ACADEMIC DEAN- DEAN TAGGART, THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE AND ADMISSIONS.  (ON A ONE-ON-ONE BASIS THAT IS).  THEY ALL HAVE BEEN INCREDIBLY NICE AND HELPFUL.

LOOK, I AM NOT AN AD HERE.  JUST TRYING TO BE HONEST AND HELP.  IF YOU WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS OR NEED ADVICE.... LEAVE A POST OR EMAIL ME.  ILL DO WHAT I CAN!  DESPITE THE COMPETITIVE CURVE MY CLASSMATES ARE ALL VERY CLOSE, AND WE LEND A HAND TO EACH OTHER AND ANYONE ELSE WHO NEEDS IT!