Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Becoming a Prosecutor or Public Defender  (Read 2764 times)

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Becoming a Prosecutor or Public Defender
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »
Although not in it for the money I would like to not have to worry about bills pay day to pay day and I noticed something.

An SA in Miami makes about 1 grand more a month than an SA in Jacksonville, but the cost of living is extremely more expensive. What is up with that? Although I have been told (by someone NOT ON THIS BOARD) to not even try to get an SA job in a big city.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »
I was told that I needed to request informational interviews and drive all the way to FL so I can meet with them in person. I was also told to write EVERY SA and PD office in FL.. WOW!

kernelgt

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
FWIW, I've heard similar things regarding the difficulty of getting SA/DA jobs in a bigger city straight out of law school.  Not that one shouldn't apply, but that it's significantly more competitive to get hired. A more successful strategy that former SA's have advised me of is to apply for SA/DA position in the suburbs surrounding your target city, as the cities tend to hire many people with 2-3 years experience from those locations rather than hire new graduates...If I ultimately want to get hired as an SA/DA in the bigger city, and I'm not hired directly from law school, working as one in a nearby location improves one's chances a few years later.  I know, it's probably fairly intuitive, but it's the strategy that I'm employing.   

vaplaugh

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
If I ultimately want to get hired as an SA/DA in the bigger city, and I'm not hired directly from law school, working as one in a nearby location improves one's chances a few years later.  I know, it's probably fairly intuitive, but it's the strategy that I'm employing.   

From what I've heard, many DA offices primarily promote from within, so it's actually unlikely to "lateral" from one county's DA to another.  The one person I know who left one DA for another was prosecuting felonies at the previous DA and was bumped down to lower-level misdemeanors (entry level position).

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
I was told today from a SA that it isn't too difficult to do a lateral transfer. While many tend to promote from within, within the bigger cities there are more options. Besides, as long as I am working in a SA or PD office somewhere in FL I am happy.

vaplaugh

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
Yep, I think it depends on state/county.  But it is just something to look out for.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
I think I might be a career SA or PD.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
I really want to be a Prosecutor. I'll take a PD position but I truly want to be a prosecutor.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

One question, how can you want to be a prosecutor OR a public defender?  They are so different, and seem to appeal to distinctively different personalities.  You aren't sure which you'd want to be?  I find that odd.

At the County pros. office I worked at, there were 3 former Pub. Defenders, conversely there are many private defenders that formerly prosecuted.  It makes sense to me that an attorney could and would want to do either.  Both sides are beneficial to "the people" - Enforcing the law & protecting constitutional rights.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
...One downside to getting one of those jobs right out of law school is that they generally don't hire until you have your bar results.  That was his experience, so I want to warn you.  He had to take a job he hated for a while until he could get hired on as a PD...

This is a huge problem I'm finding.  I'm looking into DA's offices right now and they won't even talk to me without the bar license.