Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Civil Court law clerk...  (Read 1450 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Civil Court law clerk...
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
I have been offered to work during the summer for a judge of the civil court (jurisdiction over cases up to $25,000) as his law clerk.. it's an unpaid position, but money is not a problem (so far)

What are your thoughts?
is it worth doing it?
thanks
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

ronaldo699

• View Profile
Re: Civil Court law clerk...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
i did a misd. crim court summer internship last summer as a 1L.. (the equiv on the crim side) and I couldnt rec it more...  although prestige wise, its obv not the same as having a federal judge on ur resume... however, these kinds of judges are often less removed from actually practicing law and can be a source of many more contacts for entry level positions...

jus my 2c

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »
also, many schools will let you do it for credit or work study

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
i did a misd. crim court summer internship last summer as a 1L.. (the equiv on the crim side) and I couldnt rec it more...  although prestige wise, its obv not the same as having a federal judge on ur resume... however, these kinds of judges are often less removed from actually practicing law and can be a source of many more contacts for entry level positions...

jus my 2c

I'm meeting with a crim court judge soon about an internship this summer, and I was wondering what kind of work you did when you were an intern.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
I'm meeting with a crim court judge soon about an internship this summer, and I was wondering what kind of work you did when you were an intern.

I am currently interning for a criminal court judge and am finding it to be a fantastic experience.  I do more observing than I do actual work, but that alone is a great learning experience.  I have gotten to watch proceedings ranging from arraignment through sentencing, and have sat in on some intense trials.  As for actual work, most of it has to do with responding to motions (criminal courts are inundated with these) and doing research.  There are some administrative tasks, of course, which range from answering phones, looking up defendant's court dates, and retrieving files. 

You will gain a solid foundation in Evidence and Criminal procedure.  Hopefully your judge will be interested in mentoring you, and will take the time to explain his/her rulings and decisions.  My Judge is good about this, and seeing these two subjects "in practice" is surprisingly different than seeing them in theory (in the classroom).  Also, the Judge has helped me understand what is good lawyering, and what is NOT good lawyering. 

HTH
2L

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
That sounds perfect. Thanks.