Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI callback  (Read 7290 times)

bom

• View Profile
OCI callback
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »
i had a callback interview from OCI, and i feel pretty good about it overall. i was just wondering what people thought my odds were...typically.
is it more a 'u have the job unless u screw up' kind of thing, or should i be feeling like i have to have outperformed others at a callback to get an offer...?

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI callback
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
Who knows? There's no way of making a determination approaching anything resembling accuracy at this point unless you showed up drunk or in one of those tuxedo shirts.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »
According to NALP - call back to offer ratio is about 2/3 (66%).  However, I believe those numbers are based on 2L call backs and I don't think the rules apply as much for 1L's.

Sometimes, firms will simply use 1L call backs as a way to pre-screen possible 2L recruits so its really a crap shoot.  Nonetheless, your chances are significantly higher at the call back phase than at the screening phase.

Good luck.

bom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
well they specifically mentioned they were trying to hire 5 1Ls, so i dont think its simply a screening feel.
im just concerned with how casual the whole thing seemed...i only spoke to one partner for about 10 minutes, and about 40 minutes each with two associates...is this unusual?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »
well they specifically mentioned they were trying to hire 5 1Ls, so i dont think its simply a screening feel.
im just concerned with how casual the whole thing seemed...i only spoke to one partner for about 10 minutes, and about 40 minutes each with two associates...is this unusual?

Is this a smaller firm?

Usually it is pretty rushed and informal, but it's usually like 4-5 partner interviews followed by lunch with 2-4 associates.

However, if it is a smaller firm, then anything goes.  Also, is it for a clerk position or a summer associate gig?

bom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
its a relatively big firm...150 in nyc (the office im applying to), over a thousand worldwide.
this is for a summer associate position.
a partner did 20 minute interviews with like 25 people on my campus, and i got invited to a callback...there, they said they were hiring five 1L summer associates, and i met with two associates for a while, and one partner briefly (not even in the partner's office, he just came into one of the associate's offices and the two of them talked to me for like 10 minutes)

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »
According to NALP - call back to offer ratio is about 2/3 (66%).  However, I believe those numbers are based on 2L call backs and I don't think the rules apply as much for 1L's.

Sometimes, firms will simply use 1L call backs as a way to pre-screen possible 2L recruits so its really a crap shoot.  Nonetheless, your chances are significantly higher at the call back phase than at the screening phase.

Good luck.

hard to believe that ratio is true, least for the t2s..

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
Look it up on NALP's website.  It's reported info.  There stats held pretty true for my OCI experience as well as many I know.  The screening phase is where most of the cuts are made.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »
Of course, those are only NALP firms reporting info for 2Ls.  A lot of people do callbacks with non-NALP firms, and for 1Ls there's no telling what a firm's strategy is.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »
Of course, those are only NALP firms reporting info for 2Ls.  A lot of people do callbacks with non-NALP firms, and for 1Ls there's no telling what a firm's strategy is.

Well, NALP is biglaw and that's what I was assuming.  Obviously it's different for smaller firms, but most firms that have actual summer associate programs = biglaw and therefore are NALP listed.