Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What have I done wrong? I studied 8 hours everday  (Read 3326 times)

brandy4k

• View Profile
    • Email
What have I done wrong? I studied 8 hours everday
« on: February 15, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
I got 3 of my first semester grades, they are A(research and writing), B+(civ pro), B+(torts).
I'm in Tier 2 (lower) school and I don't think it's too competitive to get good grades here.
I studied everyday for 8 freaking hours
I read all the cases, briefed, took tons of notes from every class, used all suppelements that were recommended, didn't sleep much, didn't do anything but studying on fridays and weekends.

when the final came, I locked up myself in the library and studied like crazy..
I still don't know why I got 2 B+. I wouldn't feel this way if I had at least one A-, instead of 2 B+.
Unless I get A for COn law, my current grades will put me at top 25%, which isn't that great considering the rank of my school.

what have I done wrong? Am I just not smart enough? I studied my A$$ off last semester.

Any advice?

_----------------------------------------------------------

I just got my last grade for con law
I got A!
whoo
I feel a little better now!
thanks for all the helpful advices!!

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done wrong? I studied 8 hours everday
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
[1]  You probably didn't do anything wrong -- I haven't met many people who feel very disappointed about B+'s.  ;-) 

[2]  In reaching for the A, it will come down to a lot of things other than the mere amount of time put in... making connections between the cases, answering the question directly and going the extra mile... remember that some professors only hand out a handful of A's in each course.

In any case, you are doing very well and I wouldn't sweat it up.  You're at a good school, not a place where you have to be top 10% to survive in the broader market.

Edit -- I would also try to cut down a little bit on time and see if things go a little better / with less stress.  1L isn't easy but I don't think it requires 8 hours per day of actual studying.  I'm not saying you have to have a huge social life (I don't, haha), BUT sleeping and eating like a normal person are all very good and will help your GPA.  From your description it seems as if you went pretty hardcore into it, which is understandable but to some extent can be counterproductive.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

3Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
I'd say you probably expected to much from studying. I.e., you expected your output to be a direct result of your input, which, in law school, it is not. I mean, 1st semester 1L year you don't really know what's going on, so it's understandable that you would spend an excess amount of time studying.

That said, you did not do poorly. I had similar grades my 1st semester 1L year (3 B+s and an A-), and I am now in the top 3% of my class. Don't worry too much about your grades; they are good. You should probably figure out how to study more efficiently. Once you do that, you will do better and waste less time. Don't get caught up in rankings (yet). Wait until the end of your first year to see where you stand.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »
I know how you feel, im a extremely disappointed with B+s myself.  There is something annoying about them.  That being said, a B+ is probably pretty good on the curve at your school.  It seems like you did all the studying you could for the exams.  Something to consider though is that, first, you have a very competitive class filled with many intelligent people, and second, everyone, or almost everyone, knows the information going in to the exam.  Its a timed exam so there is only so much you can learn and recite.  most of it will come down to formating your answer.  Maybe you should go see your graded exams and what you did wrong.  next semester, focus more on practice exams.  also, go out a little bit and have fun.  connections are important in law school and in the legal profession.  it is really boring sitting by yourself studying every day and its not necessary.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
Not sleeping is terrible.  Go out and have fun.  (Just don't get blackout drunk -- it can take the body a while to recuperate.)

You sound like you studied long and hard without studying smart.  There is no way you should be spending 8 hours per day on work outside of class.  Know that many of the people with straight As have much more well-rounded lives, so self-denial isn't necessarily correlated.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
By the way your post reads, you do not think that you did anything "wrong."  And, I would have to agree.  Also, you got good results.  Your grades indicate that you have achieved greater than mere competency in the subject matter.  There also appears to be a correlation between your effort and your results, which is far more than many of your peers have experienced after their first semester.  Congratulations.

Why then are you not #1 in your class?  After all, you put in a great deal of time and effort.  I can't say for sure, but it is likely that other students put in comparable effort, and they too are bright people. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »
First:  What you did wrong was to study 8 hours a day everyday.  Learn to relax a little and live life.  Most people perform much better if they're not stressed beyond belief and burned out.

Second:  You need to get some prospective.  While it's one thing to be a bit disappointed that you got 2 B+s instead of all A+s, things could be a LOT worse.  That, and until rankings come out, you really don't know where you'll stand.

Third:  You got an A in the most important class - legal writing.

What do you do now? 

First, you figure out what you were doing that was a waste of time and could be cut out.  If you were seriously spending that much time EVERY SINGLE day (which I hope you weren't), you're doing plenty that is unnecessary and superfluous to other stuff you're doing.  Go out to dinner once in a while; do nothing for one entire day but watch bad TV; try to go on a date with someone; get a hobby; do SOMETHING other than work.

Second, go look at the grade distributions, and see how many As were given out.  This isn't undergrad, and As aren't given to 25% of students.  Believe it or not, some professors just don't give As, or if they do, they give out one or two.  Getting a B+ in a class like that is great. 
Third, ask professors if you can go over your exams, and ask them what you could have done differently to get those few extra points.  Odds are it had nothing to do with your knowledge of the law (which is what you spent most of those 8 hrs/day working on), and everything to do with your analysis on the exam.  You either could have been more thorough in places.  You could have missed taking that one final leap of logic to a great conclusion, or you could have ended too soon and been too conclusory w/o explaining your logic.  Until you find out what you could have done better, you can't fix it.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
but it is likely that other students put in comparable effort, and they too are bright people.

I dunno.  I feel like a lot of people are sitting in the library right now feeling awful smug about how hard they're working without realizing that some of the people they think are slackers are beating them in the rankings.  Like I said above... study smart, not hard. 

vaplaugh

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Congrats!  Top 25% is pretty good.   ::)

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
1- Big difference between studying alot and studying smart...you are likely either not studying smart or have maximized your potential (and could probably cut back 20-25% on the time dedicated to studying).  Studying smart is an individual thing so I would not try and offer advice.  Just pay attn. to where the Profs. focus, it may be the notes part after the cases or maybe a specific supplement works well for a certain Prof.  We had a prof. who seems to have taken at least one hypo from his final straight from a hypo in the Cruch Time supplement.
2- Balance.  It is vital to have balance and enjoy life.  I cannot begin to stress how much of a difference getting back into my workout schedule helped me.  We actually had a Prof who required us all to outline a workout schedule where we would workout 30 mins/3 x per week.  (If we did this (honor code) we graduated Physical Fitness for Lawyers 101 and were enrolled in his Advanced Sexual Positions for Lawyers our second semester).
3- Your grades are not bad...you could have alot worse problems.

My two cents.  Continued good luck. 
yeehaw Dallas