Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interview  (Read 2639 times)

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interview
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
Hey I just got a call today from a firm that I applied to as a 1L.  They told me that they are not hiring 1L's this year but would like me to come in to interview for a summer associate position in summer 2009.  I have an interview scheduled at their office all day in March.  I was curious if this is very common and if anybody else has had a similar experience?  Thanks in advance for the help.
Boalt Hall '10

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:04:07 AM »
they do that all the time.  firms suck with the way they treat the interview process.  before you come in they usually know whether they will hire you or not.  however, they still have you come in.  some firms, like the one you interviewed for, use 1L recruiting as a means of kinda pre-screening for their 2L summer class.  Most likely they will allow you to skip screening interviews and extend you an offer right after callbacks next year, so there is a bright side to it.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
... assuming they like you.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
Is it safe to assume that they won't extend an offer, if they are going to, until next fall?  I have pretty good connections at the firm and they are bringing me to New York for the interview.  The recruiting lady told me that they just want to go ahead and do it now and then I won't have to worry or deal with the whole process next summer.  I was hoping that they might go ahead an extend an offer now but I guess it makes sense that they might just want to interview me now to lighten their load next fall.  I am really hoping though that they will go ahead and just extend an offer this spring.
Boalt Hall '10

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
... assuming they like you.

mike is such a friendly guy peaches, how could they not like him? lol.

I really doubt that they will extend you an offer at this point, just because they dont really know how the firm will be next summer and how big of a class they will want/need.  however, it seems very unusually that they call to tell you they arent hiring and proceed to interview you in NY anyway, so i might be wrong on this.  Its definitely a possibility but I would certainly imagine they would want to see your first year grades and how the firm is doing before committing to anything.

good luck though.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Thanks Thorc.  Really appreciate you giving your insight.
Boalt Hall '10

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
I'd definitely go ahead and do the interview.  But if no offer is extended, you should contact them again in the fall (and ask for another interview).  If not, you'll be some vague memory of a person they met in the spring for 30 minutes. 

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah I am definitely going to do the interview.  I really like the firm and am hoping to work there.  Am a little nervous though.  The lady told me to be prepared to be there fore a good 4 hours or so.  Never had that kind of interview before.  Just got off the phone with my first real interview.  It was for the SEC and I sucked and you only get one phone interview with them.  Hopefully I am a little better at in person interviews.
Boalt Hall '10

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Just remember that the #1 thing they're looking for at a callback is whether or not they would want to have a beer with you and whether you're somebody they'd want to be around, but still professional.
Also, have some good questions.  (Some interviewers go to the "Why don't you ask us some questions?" almost immediately.)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »
Its four hours, but really only 30 minutes with each associate/partner.  Its overwhelming, and boring (except for mine at my firm, if anyone was reading, it was an amazing experience :)), but yea, its really long and you will run out of questions to ask and will seem really boring, but its good to get warmed up before OCI really starts.