Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weird interview  (Read 3188 times)

Clara Bear

• View Profile
weird interview
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
I just finished my second OCI.  The interviewers asked me one question. One of them went to my undergrad institution and asked which professor was my favorite. The rest of the 20 minute interview was just the two of them telling me about the firm and about their clerking program.

Is that normal?  Is it a good/bad/neutral sign?

Thanks!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: weird interview
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
i had one like that.  no callback.  however, i feel like everyone heard probably the same speech and someone must have gotten the callback from it.  kinda pissed me off cause his mind was clearly made up before the interview started and it was a waste of time.  whatever though, its over now, so there is nothing you can do.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
I had one where I didn't get one question about myself or my resume.  The interviewer talked about the firm, personal experiences in the firm, etc.  I got a callback, and ultimately an offer.

So I'd say that it's probably slightly abnormal, but not unheard of.  My guess is that most people have had an interview like this at some point or other.  As for whether its good or bad, I'd say its probably neither.  I've always thought that firms like this essentially decided based on the resumes who they wanted to give a callback to, and therefore the actual interview meant very little one way or the other.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
I had one like that and I did get the callback. We were basically just shooting the *&^% about their firm and other various topics, like how much I enjoy golfing even though I'm a terrible golfer. I think one of the partners is a terrible golfer who loves the sport as well. I think interviews are often a test of whether or not you'll "fit in" because what little qualifications you have (GPA, class rank) speak for themselves.  In other words, they probably did have their minds made up before the interview, but if they were going to give you the callback originally and didn't like you after the interview, you won't get the callback. Instead, some other person who they weren't originally going to give the callback to will get it (assuming they like or, at least, do not dislike that candidate).

Clara Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the responses.  Hopefully I didn't sound too much like a loser and I'll get a call back.  They said I should hear back within a week or so, so I'll just sit tight until then.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
I've also heard that if/when the employer starts talking about how great his or her firm is, it can be a good sign because it's like they are trying to "sell" you their firm. I don't know though!

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »
I just finished my second OCI.  The interviewers asked me one question. One of them went to my undergrad institution and asked which professor was my favorite. The rest of the 20 minute interview was just the two of them telling me about the firm and about their clerking program.

Is that normal?  Is it a good/bad/neutral sign?

Thanks!

Who knows. Screening interviews are weird. I had one where we just talked about college football for 20 minutes. Barely even mentioned the firm. I got a call back.

I had several others where it looked like they were trying to sell me on the firm, and no call back.

Then I've had ones where I knew as soon as I left I wasn't getting a call-back and I was right.

I will say that I have never walked out of one thinking I screwed it up and ended up getting a call back.

The bottom line is that its a crap shoot. However, at least you didn't think you bombed it. So it has to be a good thing.

Good luck

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »

I had several others where it looked like they were trying to sell me on the firm, and no call back.

I hate these the most.  I even had one guy tell me I would be a great fit for the firm, talked about "when you come in for the callback interviews," mentioned people I'd meet, etc.  I felt great afterward, since he all but assured me a callback.  I later find out the feminine hygiene product told EVERYONE the same BS, and hardly anyone got a callback.

Firms really need to screen who they send on interviews.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
A lot of firms do 1L OCI even though they hire few 1Ls.  So selling you on the firm is not necessarily a good sign -- they may be selling you for next year. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
A lot of firms do 1L OCI even though they hire few 1Ls.  So selling you on the firm is not necessarily a good sign -- they may be selling you for next year. 

True. I did 1L OCI and interviewed with several of the same recruiters during 2L OCI. Its always good for a joke at the beginning of the interview when they ask how are you doing and you're like "I'm good, but I'm still a little upset you didn't hire me."

They think its funny too when they send you another rejection letter.  ;)