Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long should a writing sample be?  (Read 7091 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How long should a writing sample be?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
mine was 5 ish, i used a memo, cut out the crap (facts, etc), then did a brief cover letter summarizing it and stating i had permission to use it.

Thanks, but just a question - why wouldn't you have permission to use your own writing?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »
If it's actual work product from a job, then you may not be able to use all of it.

Most firms I interviewed with specified how long.  Mine was 10 pages and it seemed to go over well.  Are they going to read it?  No, they will skim it......  Regardless, you should still use something worth while.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:44:10 PM »
OHhh, I see ... thanks!  The only legal writing sample(s) I have are from class assignments :)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »
Mine was 7 pages.   

I also included a cover letter stating that my sample was an excerpt from a memo I submitted for my first year legal writing course.  I went on to explain that I had worked with a partner on the assignment, and excluded portions of the discussion section that were my partner's work.  I noted that it was originally a 15 page memo, and had been reduced to 7 pages.  I also noted that I had incorporated minor editing suggestions into the memo.

It is probably obvious that if you use a class memo, you will have incorporated editing suggestions.  Regardless, I wanted to go the "full disclosure" route so that I wouldnt be accused of submitting something that was not wholly my work.
2L

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
OHhh, I see ... thanks!  The only legal writing sample(s) I have are from class assignments :)

hahah, i was forgetting, 1L, yea, not necessary to say you have permission, but I have had a few people really emphasize the necessity to do so your second year, so just something to keep in mind at that point :)