Law School Discussion

US Attorney's Interview

dspin815

US Attorney's Interview
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering what I should expect in my interview for a US Attorney in CT.  Does anyone have any tips?  Thanks.

yykm

Re: US Attorney's Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »
Tell them you're interested in litigation.

dspin815

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

Thanks, I mentioned that on my cover letter.  Anything else?

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »
I had an interview with a US Attorney's Office in CA a few weeks ago and ended up getting an offer for the position.  Obviously another office could be completely different, but I'll tell you about my experience.

The interview was very brief and it seemed like it was more about me fitting in as a person than as an employee or anything else.  The interviewer only asked me a couple of formal questions, around 4 or 5 and the rest was just discussing school, interesting things on my resume, etc.  By interesting things on my resume I don't mean interesting work, I mean experiences they saw as fun or interesting places that I went.  I was really surprised when I got the offer because I felt like the interview was not substantial enough to get a job out of. 

bb

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
What were the "formal" questions?

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:35 AM »
Why California? (I was applying from Boston)
What other types of jobs am I looking at? (This is where I said litigation)

Honestly I can't remember the few others.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
I got, Why the US Atty's office, what do you plan on doing after graduation, where do you see yourself in 10 years.  They were really interested in me having great questions for them though, so come prepared.

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
Make sure you tell them you are interested in litigation and elaborate based on your experiences (moot court, mock trial, clinic experience, etc.)

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »
Any advice from another year's worth of interns?

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 06:15:11 AM »
Also, depending on the office, be sure you know whether you want civil or criminal and why.