Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MPRE - BarBri?  (Read 9961 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
MPRE - BarBri?
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »
Any opinions on the value of the BarBri course for the MPRE?

$250 seems like a lot of money for a 5 hour recorded lecture + books.  Though I hear the books are valuable, and it seems (based on BarBri's website) that you can't buy the books independent of the course.

Anyway, just looking to get some feedback on what I should do here.  Thx.
2L

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MPRE - BarBri?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »
Yeah, its a little pricey. Basically they're just relying on lawstudents freaking out about the mpre.

You can get the same amount of worth out of a 40 dollar self-study course. Check out a supplement on Amazon called supreme bar review mpre review. It'll do the trick and save you 200 bucks. It even includes a dvd lecture and real mpre questions and tests.

Totally worth it wheras BarBri is totally overpriced.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
I didn't take the course, and didn't use the book and I passed with flying colors.  I had already taken professional responsibility as a required class the year before as a 2L.  I then did all the practice problems available on the MPRE site - there's the practice/sample exam, and they also have the "Study Smarter" program you can download.

You can also usually find the books used on eBay.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »
I used the barbri MPRE book, and went to the video lecture.  I promise you that the video is a waste, but the book is good.  I used it exclusively, and got at 141.  However, the whole deal was free.  Although there was a retail price, at my school barbri gave the book/lecture [MPRE] for free - ask your rep?  My understanding was that all of Ohio [my state] had free barbri MPRE.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
I used the barbri MPRE book, and went to the video lecture.  I promise you that the video is a waste, but the book is good.  I used it exclusively, and got at 141.  However, the whole deal was free.  Although there was a retail price, at my school barbri gave the book/lecture [MPRE] for free - ask your rep?  My understanding was that all of Ohio [my state] had free barbri MPRE.

Were you already enrolled in BarBri at the time? I think that if we're enrolled in BarBri's Bar review course, then the MPRE course is free as well. Personally, I'd rather kill myself than give BarBri any money so I didn't get the MPRE course for free.

That being said, I still wouldn't pay 250 bucks for an MPRE review course.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
i work for barbri and the course IS FREE if you are already a member. If not then it is 250 bucks. Although some forms say you have to pay up to 250 down for the regular bar course. In IN they waived that if you just fill out the form. I'm sure that the rest of the states will too if you ask a rep. The important thing is that you have to be a memeber to get the mpre course included. I'm actually taking it this year as a 2L b/c i'min PR and i figure...why ... if i can pass it... make my last year all the less much stressful. Ciao
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »
Great, thanks guys.  I am a 2L, and like another poster said, trying to get this thing out of the way.  I took Professional Responsibility last semester, so I am hoping that I retained some of the info.

The consensus seems to be to find a book and take the online practice options.  I havent become a "member" or whatever of BarBri because I am sort of relying on the word of mouth rumor that my firm may pay for my bar review course.  It might turn out to be a bad gamble, but I just dont feel like shelling out big $ right now.  Point is - I dont have a free option for the MPRE, and I am happy to hear that the video isnt worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the input... and I welcome more from other posters!
2L

sweetlawgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I went a similar route that BudLaw did, picked up a MPRE book and lecture from BarOutlines.com. Came with a study outline and practice questions. Listened to the audio lecture on my IPod during commutes.. good stuff, easy peasy. I think it was like $25 bucks.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »
When I took it, the cost was applied to the overall BarBri cost, which made it an okay deal.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »
Also, if you're not paying for BarBri b/c you're waiting for your firm to pay it, you really should check to see a) whether they do in fact pay for it, and if they do, then b) HOW they pay for it.

It seems most firms I've heard of just give you a stipend for the summer to cover the cost.  Even if you sign up now, you only pay a deposit, and the rest is due next year.  If the firm just cuts you a check, then you're actually saving money since you lock in the rate for BarBri now, and that's a little more money in your pocket when you're studying.