Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AF JAG  (Read 3266 times)

ndguy14

• View Profile
Re: AF JAG
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
You never know.  I doubt all the SJAs get the calls out today. 

Are there any requirements for this summer?  I already have a summer offer (which I haven't accepted yet), so I'm not sure what to do with that if I am indeed in the OYCP.  Additionally, if in the OYCP, does that mean you're a shoe-in for JAG?

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
In the OYCP if selected you must attend a 4 week "expeditionary training" at Maxwell AFB in AL. You will also likely have to attend the extended version so you can catch up with the rest of the Cadets.

If you are selected for a position you are guaranteed a JAG position unless something medically disqualifies you are you do not make it through ROTC and Field Training.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »
Ndguy,
what base did you apply at?

ndguy14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »
So the field training during the summer before 3L only lasts 4 weeks?  It's hard to gather much information from this statement: "Selectees attend an AFROTC field training encampment at an Air Force base during the summer before their third year of law school."

Ndguy,
what base did you apply at?
Are you referring to the base I had my interview?  If so, let me know and I'll send you a PM.  I'm not sure what else you would mean.  I know I listed a bunch of different locations on my preference sheet, but I'm pretty sure the AF decides that matter.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
well, I haven't received a letter yet so I guess that is a good thing.

ndguy14

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
I found out that it was just a call to congratulate me.  Supposedly, packets were sent out yesterday.  I was only able to speak with a secretary, so I did not prod further to find out if all SJAs called those who were accepted.

Do you know how frequent promotions are given out and how strong exit options truly are from JAG?  I know that I'll start out as an O-3, but I'm not sure how long it take to get to O-4, O-5, etc.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
All I know is that you are promoted to Capt (O3) within 6 months. Other than that I do not know. I imagine that all of the other SJA's made phone calls yesterday too. I guess I didn't make. Congratulations.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
I found out that it was just a call to congratulate me.  Supposedly, packets were sent out yesterday.  I was only able to speak with a secretary, so I did not prod further to find out if all SJAs called those who were accepted.

Do you know how frequent promotions are given out and how strong exit options truly are from JAG?  I know that I'll start out as an O-3, but I'm not sure how long it take to get to O-4, O-5, etc.

O-3 (Captain) is automatic after 6 months.

0-4 (Major)is after 6ish years in grade as Captain with a 95% selection rate.

0-5 (Lt. Col) is after 7 years in grade as Major (13 years total) with 85% selection

0-6 (Col.) is after 5 years in grade as LtCol (18 years total) with 60% selection.

Those times are when you first have the ability to be selected for the next grade, none of that is automatic after Captain and you may have to wait longer.

You can retire after 20 years in.
Air Force JAG Corps

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »
If I had been selected I could have retired in 12. I am beginning to think that maybe my school has something to do with me never getting selected. Unless I bombed my interview and just don't realize it.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »
If I had been selected I could have retired in 12. I am beginning to think that maybe my school has something to do with me never getting selected. Unless I bombed my interview and just don't realize it.

I truly feel that the law school is far less important than the rest of the application package. My office this summer ranged from T-14, T1, through T3, from all over the country.

In no way implying you bombed anything, it was made painfully clear to me that the SJA was the person that made or killed an applicants chances for accession. 
Air Force JAG Corps