Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Dip During Comment Semester  (Read 1022 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
GPA Dip During Comment Semester
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Hey y'all,

Quick cathartic question; basically for the purposes of making me feel better.  I'm a 2L at a lower-Tier 1 school (i.e., ranked in the 40s). I wrote my comment last semester for one of my school's "niche" journals...the comment was good enough to get an offer of publication.  Unfortunately, it may have come at the expense of my grades.  I was previously in the Top 20%, now I'm hovering around the Top 40% of my class.  This is at a school that is notorious for grade-inflation.

As far as jobs go...how forgiving, in general, do you think employers will be of a GPA drop in a comment semester?

I welcome all flame posts, because, frankly, those who do so don't really matter to me.  I don't need care if my Internet feelings are hurt.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA Dip During Comment Semester
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
If it were me, I would not highlight the fact that you think your lower grades are because of the comment. You don't want to send the message that you either are unable to multi-task, or that you are prone to taking on more work than you can handle, or both. Plus if your grades last semester are dramatically lower than your other grades (which I think must be the case if one semester of grades lowered your overall class standing so drastically), then that excuse would probably not be believable.

So my recommendation is to just not draw attention to it and let your record speak for itself. A published comment and top 40% at a decent school is a pretty good place to be.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
That's a big drop. If you're a 2L though, I'm guessing you already have a summer job lined up. Hopefully, it's a place that's planning on hiring? If so, just concentrate on doing really well this summer. If the firm likes you, a drop in grades may not be the end of the world. Some firms don't even check. Regardless, without the extra work, you should be able to bring your overall GPA back up this semester so you're in the top 25% (I'm basing this off of nothing but it sounds good).

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
I feel your pain dude; I'm writing my note this semester and it's a major, major time-suck.  At least mine will be due in early March so I have 6 weeks to catch up before finals.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA drop since you can publish and probably get on the ed board, but then again I'm not a big proponent of worrying in general.

GA-fan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
If you already have a summer job lined up, I wouldn't stress about it too much. On my law review, almost everyone's grades dropped. It's just that the comment, cite checking and other meetings/random tasks DO take a lot of time, as do the interviews many 2Ls go to 2L-1st semester. Just try to pick them back up this semester, and you can write it off as a fluke.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
Place a published copy of your work (as in, the actual whole bound journal) on top of all your job applications, or hand a copy to each interviewer at the beginning of the interview.