Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Outbreak of Flagrant Sexism :: Law Professor and Student Body  (Read 4353 times)

gasbrain

• View Profile
Outbreak of Flagrant Sexism :: Law Professor and Student Body
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
Anyone having stories on violence against women at law schools around the country is invited to post them here. It would involve, for instance, women being called "dolly" or "dizzy blonde" by male law professors; or the existance of a "sexual undercurrent" present during the day. Alternatively, it could involve women students never been taken 100% seriously and being give lower grades than male students. Law professors calling women only good at choosing undergarments, best suited for secretarial jobs that necessarily require wearing that special above-the-knee skirt, etc, you get the point.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Outbreak of Flagrant Sexism :: Law Professor and Student Body
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
1. none of your examples involved violence of women yet you wanted examples of violence against women.

2. grading is blind in law school.

3. most professors have read the constitution and are familiar with what is or is not appropriate in the classroom.

4. i am getting sick of people joining LSD to fish for research for whatever their projects are. 

5. If you are writing a story, work on your grammar before getting into it please.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
chicks are 1st and 2nd at my school dope

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
Do you mean "ditzy" blondes?  Or are blondes being called dizzy now?

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
one time in class the professor was like:  "hey, learn this crap cause it is important"

some chick was like:  "hey i have a va-j!"

then the professor, being SO SEXIST, was like:  "you are only good at choosing undergarments!"

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
one time in class the professor was like:  "hey, learn this crap cause it is important"

some chick was like:  "hey i have a va-j!"

then the professor, being SO SEXIST, was like:  "you are only good at choosing undergarments!"

holly *&^%, you me and the dizzy blonde must be in the same class.

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
Considering that my school was founded by women and has a 60/40 female/male split, that's generally not a problem here.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

humanteau

• View Profile
John McCain female dog
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »
It's been a banner time for sexism on the presidential hustings. Some time ago, we had the John McCain supporter in South Carolina asking her hero, "How do we beat the female dog?" in reference to Senator Hillary Clinton. Senator McCain laughed, showing his good-natured appreciation for comparing women to animals. He might also be amused to know that chicks, foxes, dogs and pigs are in the same lexicon, the one aimed at keeping women down by dehumanizing them.

More recently, we learned that Governor Mike Huckabee subscribes to the Southern Baptist Convention's position that women should "submit graciously" to their husbands. MSNBC talk show host Tucker Carlson found the utility of this idea worth some elbow-in-the-rib joking. Putting all those manly yucks aside, pundits might have noted that gracious submission is the flip-side of female dog-dom (see McCain above.) For women, there's just no in between, which brings us to Senator Fred Thompson.

When Thompson, along with the other candidates, was asked about his favorite possession, his answer to the Associated Press was his "trophy wife" Jeri. Senator John McCain prized his baseball signed by Ted Williams. For Rudy Guiliani, the answer was his grandfather's pocket watch. But Thompson possessed the notably young and attractive Jeri-prize. If women are turned into objects no one has to worry about them being bitches or submitting with insufficient grace to their husbands -- or, for that matter, becoming president.

h u m a n t e a u

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
Oops, sorry, wrong thread

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
one problem with your logic. hillary is a female dog.