Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Confused ...  (Read 1243 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Confused ...
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
So ... the OCI bidding closed awhile ago, but there still firms that I can find through eattorney under OCI that are "resume collect" ... can I still apply/bid for those?

Also ... do I just send my resume and cover letter to random firms or wait and see if firms are actually hiring?

I'm talking to the CPD ppl this week, but I just wondered if I could get any info now.

Thanks!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Confused ...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
I dont know what the bidding deadline is for your resume collect, but my school extends the deadline for that past the deadline for oci.  As far as applying elsewhere, it cant hurt to send resumes and cover letters out.  Its such a pain to send stuff out in advance that it is almost more effective to just mail.  Be quick with it though, cause id imagine firms are pretty much done hiring or wrapping it up anyway.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
I dont know what the bidding deadline is for your resume collect, but my school extends the deadline for that past the deadline for oci.  As far as applying elsewhere, it cant hurt to send resumes and cover letters out.  Its such a pain to send stuff out in advance that it is almost more effective to just mail.  Be quick with it though, cause id imagine firms are pretty much done hiring or wrapping it up anyway.

Most firms in the area (Cincinnati) haven't even started hiring yet, so I don't think I'm late or anything.  I'm more interested in a mid-size or small firm.  Although I do have interest in some other things that haven't started the application process yet, too.  I was just wondering if the date on the "OCI" says 5/30/08 and is resume collect if I can go ahead and apply to them ... although you're probably right that just mailing them would be easier.

I just feel like "randomly mailing" seems so unofficial if they aren't hiring and asking for specific things (i.e. writing samples, etc.)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »
yea, i mean, it is kinda random, but they are use to that.  Plus, I am sure they are getting a bunch of letters from everyone.  I sent cover letters, resumes, and grade sheets when I did the process.  Wasnt aware that cincinati is still hiring.  That is a plus for you.  Id still get them out soon.

the whole process is annoying as it is so random and you really dont know if people are interested at all in having you apply even.

I tried emailing a bunch of my application packets in, because i found it was cheaper, and a lot easier then having to fill out envelopes.  If you do send to the smaller mid size firms and chose not to do it through resume drop (ive had no luck with resume drop), that is something to consider.

good luck though, hope you get a great job.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
Thanks!