Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar membership and jobs  (Read 2440 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bar membership and jobs
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm a 3L graduating in May and I'm primarily looking for a job in the DA's office or Public Defender.

I'm finding it virtually impossible to get so much as an interview as almost everyone is saying they don't look at recent grads until they pass the bar.  I understand their concern, but I can't just not work from May to September.

Is anyone else encountering similar frustrations?

vaplaugh

Re: Bar membership and jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
I'm a 3L graduating in May and I'm primarily looking for a job in the DA's office or Public Defender.

I'm finding it virtually impossible to get so much as an interview as almost everyone is saying they don't look at recent grads until they pass the bar.  I understand their concern, but I can't just not work from May to September.

Is anyone else encountering similar frustrations?

I've heard your situation is common for many DA and PD offices... but I'd imagine frustrating, indeed.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
I'm with you brother...and if your in TX you have to wait till the end of Oct.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »
You have to find something else to do, because it is hard to find work if you haven't by the time you take the bar.  And there's no guarantee that you'll find something immediately, even after that. 

And even with the DA's office, you need to try and get some experience there, if you don't already have some in criminal law. Since you do have to survive, try to find a good part time job--law clerk or paralegal that actually pays enough to try and live off of for a few months, very frugally-- and spend the rest of the time at the DA's office. If that is really what you want to do find a local office and intern there, so as soon as you pass the bar you can be ready for any openings that might be available. 

So many people think that this work is easy to get for some reason.  With the DA's office, any government positions, public interest, they want to know why you want to work there, and they want to see some sort of past action that reflects that.  If you can't, they can easily find someone who does. 

Good luck! 
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
Many gov't agencies require bar admission as a prerequisite to applying, so its tough to break through as before admission. You amy be able to work out a deal where you clerk till admission, then reapply for an attorney position.

Do you plan on working full time while studying?   

nmccar2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
I have been having the same trouble finding a job.  I am a recent graduate and am currently awaiting my bar results.  I have tried both government and private law jobs.  I am uncertain as to whether its proper to apply for "attorney" or "associate" jobs when you legally cannot practice law.  Does anyone know? I would appreciate any advice.