Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 48773 times)

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
CIVIL PROCEDURE I - LAW 5000 - 005
CRN:   82287
Assigned Instructor:    Tanya M. Washington
9:00 am - 10:15 am   MW

CONTRACTS I - LAW 5010 - 005
CRN:   82316
Assigned Instructor:    Barbara E. Taylor
10:30 am - 11:45 am   TR

LEGAL BIBLIOGRAPHY - LAW 5030 - 010
CRN:   83606
10:00 am - 10:50 am   F   

PROPERTY I - LAW 5050 - 010
CRN:   82295
Assigned Instructor:    Basil H. Mattingly
1:15 pm - 2:30 pm   MW

TORTS I - LAW 5060 - 010
CRN:   82298
Assigned Instructor:    Charity Scott
1:15 pm - 2:30 pm   TR   

RESEARCH, WRIT & ADVOC I - LAW 5070 - 015
CRN:   82300
Assigned Instructor:    Jennifer G. Chiovaro
9:00 am - 10:15 am   T   

Well...there it is ... my sched for Fall Semester

Looks like we have like four classes together... see above.

Lendb5, I will look for you in class, too.

And, to answer my own question- the bookstore is accepting the "credit" from financial aid beginning next Monday.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »

And, to answer my own question- the bookstore is accepting the "credit" from financial aid beginning next Monday.

Monday the 11th or Monday the 18th?  If it's the latter, that's pretty crappy.

lendb5

• AOL Instant Messenger - lendb5
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
connely - I love Georgia State, (I was undergrad here too) but:

Let me tell you, they don't exactly run things with an administrative...uhhh...fines se
The application process is finally over.  The countdown has begun...

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
Sorry- I meant the 11th!!!  And btw, lendb5, i went to gsu for undergrad, too.  you're right about the admin... pretty half-aszed.  seems like the law school has it a little more together than the university, but they still rely on the university for financial aid, etc, so there's that! 

what is our "allowance" at the bookstore anyway? i seem to remember reading something like $750, but could be making that up...

lendb5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »
it's definitely $750...

jeez, what's the point?  First of all, I don't know how many of you have looked at the booklist.  Even if you were to buy all "used" books, $750 isn't going to cut it.  (I spent more than that purchasing all of my books through cheapie sources like half.com).

And anyway, FORCING you to spend YOUR money at THEIR bookstore is absolute RAPE!!!  Does no one else seem to 'get' what a scam that is?!? You get your loan disbursement the day that school starts (that's assuming that the wonderful folks at GSU will meet the deadline, which they have been known for NOT doing in the past), which means:

- no time to shop around

- no ability to wait the standard week for shipment if you do decide to purchase elsewhere (by far the better choice)

I personally think that this is an overenthusiatic plot on behalf of the GSU bookstore to rake in a litte more dough.

That's just me though.  I probably sound half-crazed, but stuff like this really annoys me.

If there's any possible way for you to purchase early through another source(it's worth racking up the credit card debt), then go for it.  You'll save a bunch of money.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
I completely agree.  It is rape.  Worse still, most of us are forced to shut up and take it.  Does this sound like a great cause for SBA, or am I once again over-reacting?

lendb5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
It's not an overreaction.  It's completely justified.

That being said, however, the SBA won't do a thing about it.  Too many people allow it to happen.  Too many students don't care. 

(It's just the half-crazed students who are in debt, with mortgages, with families to feed, and real adult grownup problems who find this to be an issue.  And those students - please forgive me if I'm wrong - and God I would be soooo happy if I was - will be few and far between). 

So, there you have it.  My adult headaches coupled with the astronmical amount of schoolwork will definitely keep me silent.  I wish I had more "zest" (?) for doing something noteworthy... But school hasn't even begun yet and I'm already exhausted!!!

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »
Man, you're right on with that observation... Here's to being all grown up and cynical!  Wait, maybe cynical isn't the right word... what am I looking for here?!?!  Oh, yeah- broke(n).

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
(It's just the half-crazed students who are in debt, with mortgages, with families to feed, and real adult grownup problems who find this to be an issue.  And those students - please forgive me if I'm wrong - and God I would be soooo happy if I was - will be few and far between). 

On one hand, it is frustrating, because as adults  ;D, we know how a good business would run things.  On the other, we are cynical enough to know that there is little motivation for universities to provide a high level of service in this area. 

lendb5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
"Cynical?"  God, have I already hit that benchmark in my life?

O well.  I suppose that even if it didn't happen naturally, law school would have done it to me anyway!