Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 49266 times)

t1016

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
just FYI, you need to call the school to have them pull your in your confirmation regarding the entrance counseling.. I had taken the test as well, but it still showed as incomplete on gosolar. Once I called in they immediately updated it right while I was on the phone..

also, in case you have a note that says your promissory note hasn't been signed, I called today and they will be pulling those in on Monday.

on a different note, I received the assignment to brief the case prior to orientation, but have no clue where to begin... does the recommended reading of Law School without Fear assist with this or should I look for another book to purchase solely on briefing cases??

I too think this is going to be a crash course in the socratic method and would like to be prepared..

The financial aid is making me crazy as well.  Both for the Grad Plus and the fact that GoSolar hasn't reflected the fact that they've received my entrance counseling results.  :/.

I'm planning on making a personal visit to the office after I'm no longer working in a couple of weeks.

Btw, I went ahead and ordered the book we need for our RWA assignment.  It's not a small as I thought it would be.
Miracles and  Blessings!

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
The summary that I've read for Law School Without Fear says that it introduces the concept of briefing.  I don't think you need to get all crazy and read the whole thing though.  Read some tips and some samples and you should be fine.  I would suggest spending more time with something like Getting to Maybe instead of wasting all of your time on Law School Without Fear.  GTM teaches exam prep and strategies, which I feel are much more useful.  From what I understand, briefing is something you can only learn by doing.  Furthermore, most law students abandon the practice of briefing every case about halfway through 1L.  It is an important skill to develop during this time, but once you have developed this ability, your time is better served elsewhere (i.e. exam prep).  Anyways, I would definitely take a look at the suggested reading, but if you have limited time, spend it on actually briefing the cases and reading the 7 chapters for RWA.  HTH

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
Thanks.

Now I just need my section assignment!

just FYI, you need to call the school to have them pull your in your confirmation regarding the entrance counseling.. I had taken the test as well, but it still showed as incomplete on gosolar. Once I called in they immediately updated it right while I was on the phone..

also, in case you have a note that says your promissory note hasn't been signed, I called today and they will be pulling those in on Monday.

on a different note, I received the assignment to brief the case prior to orientation, but have no clue where to begin... does the recommended reading of Law School without Fear assist with this or should I look for another book to purchase solely on briefing cases??

I too think this is going to be a crash course in the socratic method and would like to be prepared..

The financial aid is making me crazy as well.  Both for the Grad Plus and the fact that GoSolar hasn't reflected the fact that they've received my entrance counseling results.  :/.

I'm planning on making a personal visit to the office after I'm no longer working in a couple of weeks.

Btw, I went ahead and ordered the book we need for our RWA assignment.  It's not a small as I thought it would be.

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
So what did you do to brief the case for orientation?? I have never taken a pre-law class so I have no clue on where to even begin... any suggestions?

The summary that I've read for Law School Without Fear says that it introduces the concept of briefing.  I don't think you need to get all crazy and read the whole thing though.  Read some tips and some samples and you should be fine.  I would suggest spending more time with something like Getting to Maybe instead of wasting all of your time on Law School Without Fear.  GTM teaches exam prep and strategies, which I feel are much more useful.  From what I understand, briefing is something you can only learn by doing.  Furthermore, most law students abandon the practice of briefing every case about halfway through 1L.  It is an important skill to develop during this time, but once you have developed this ability, your time is better served elsewhere (i.e. exam prep).  Anyways, I would definitely take a look at the suggested reading, but if you have limited time, spend it on actually briefing the cases and reading the 7 chapters for RWA.  HTH
Miracles and  Blessings!

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
Found this on google:  http://www.law.uh.edu/lrw/casebrief.pdf

I asked an associate I work for about briefing.  He said that there is no magic to it, it just takes practice.  It will take a while at first, but as you read more and more caselaw, it becomes easier to spot the different sections (i.e. the opinion).  If you are having trouble, get Law School Without Fear and read samples and tips.

Edit:  Also, you may want to pick up a copy of Black's Law Dictionary.  I got a pocket edition for $15 on Amazon.

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »
Thanks for the info... now that I am at the month marker, I need to get into law school mode, will be doing some book shopping this weekend...
Miracles and  Blessings!

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »
I've been assigned instructors.

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
did you find out outline?? or did you get it in the mail?
Miracles and  Blessings!

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:17 AM »
did you find out outline?? or did you get it in the mail?

Online.  If you logon to GoSolar and pick the registration menu, there will be an option to view basic course information, select that and it should give you the instructors you have.  You can also pick the view schedule option.

Plus, our fall 2008 term statement is online.  The tuition is greater than they budgeted for.  ???

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »
OK, guys I need to vent:

I graduated from GSU in 2007 and am now entering as a law student. Apparently, all students who recently graduated undergrad from GSU are having problems because the system is still showing undergrad. I called the law office and they said they are aware of the problem and are trying to correct it so that we can be registered. WTF.

I called 2 weeks ago b/c I noticed it said re-admitted senior and I was told it would be corrected then. i'm so irritated right now.