Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 49225 times)

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 11:35:08 PM »
You were right- July it is...bummer.  I was hoping, like you, that we could get a sneak preview of profs.  I have a few I hope I get, but you know how that goes.

Guess we just have to wait. And wait.  :-\

abkaram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »
Hey everyone, congrats on admission to GSU Law.. great program!  For those of you looking for apartments, www.CampusApartmentFinders.co m is a FREE service that provides you all the info you need for local Atlanta apartments.  Additionally when you sign a lease and list Campus Apartment Finders as your referral and notify them, they will share the commission with you.  So you can make $ on this process and make it 1000x easier.  Visit it today and finish your no hassle search.

www.CampusApartmentFinders.co m
1) Register (email only and it is 100% private)
2) Refer Campus Apartment Finders after you find your place
3) Receive your reward

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
For those of you not from Atlanta, I would strongly encourage you to explore more living options than the ones provided by the website listed above.  It is a great tool if you want to live close to campus, but I doubt that you will really want to do that.  The law school is literally 100 yards away from a MARTA station, so you can get a $50/month MARTA card and live anywhere else in the city close to a MARTA station.  This is cheaper than gas and parking, will allow you to multi-task on your commute, and offers more flexible living options.  MARTA runs along I-20, I-85, and GA-400 (not along I-75 though).  I plan to live in the Peachtree Hills/Garden Hills area.  It is close to Lindbergh MARTA station, in between Peachtree and Piedmont.  It's a prime location, but relatively cheap and safe. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding housing, MARTA, Atlanta, etc.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
a $50/month MARTA card

Has anybody tried to get the reduced rate card for students?  I think it's around $40.  Definitely agree with exploring your options.  There are some good places to live with easy access to MARTA.  I'll be living in the Atlantic Station area, but that is because it will put my walking distance from my job. 

wilson77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
anyone know what part of the class you have to finish in to have a shot at biglaw?

appellation2

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
hi everyone.  congrats.  i'm starting in fall too  :)
for those looking for housing, i need to rent a room in my east atlanta house.  let me know if you'd be interested and we can talk details.

wilson: the very unofficial word i've gathered at one big firm is top 20% to not get thrown out immediately and top 10% to have a real shot.  a link currently at the end of another gsu thread shows something like 8% of gsu students end up working biglaw.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
anyone know what part of the class you have to finish in to have a shot at biglaw?

In my experience (I'm a brand new grad going into Atlanta biglaw), top 15% will get you some biglaw interviews, while top 10% is more certain to actually get an offer. The occasional student from outside this range does get a biglaw job, but it's much more challenging if you fall outside the top 10-15% (meaning you probably need either stellar interview skills or highly desired work experience, or better yet both).

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
Hello Fellow Classmates!!!

I am so eager to leave my job and go back to school full- time, yet extremely nervous as I am sure you all can relate.  I received a packet in the mail this weekend with misc information(panther card, summer reading recommendations, etc) has anyone else gotten this packet yet? What shocked me was the mentioning of an assignment we have to complete before orientation... anyone have any clue what it might be? I am so curious.
Miracles and  Blessings!

appellation2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
yeah, i got that but won't start worrying til there's something to worry about.  i don't know what kind of assignment it could be but i doubt it's too serious if we don't have reading lists or library access yet.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
Anyone still reading this thread?

I wanted to comment on the housing situation: I was an undergrad in ATL and lived off campus all but the first year.  Definitely look into apartments in Little Five/East Atlanta area.  I now live in Midtown and pay a great rent for a two bedroom townhouse that is convenient TO EVERYTHING!!! If interested, PM me and I'll share.

Re: the assignment, I have no clue, but I would bet it has to do with briefing a case.  Seems that briefing is one of the key skills to learn in the beginning.  Who knows, though... could be to list your likes, dislikes, feelings, fears, dreams, etc!!!  I hear they are doing some studies on law students and depression around the nation.  Maybe we are the next specimen group.
Lol.