Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 48859 times)

Has03

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
Heyy guys,

I'm currently applying to GSU... I went complete in the mid of December and my app status says "in review by committee". I think we know each other already HMiller... haha... Well, I went to GSU for undergrad as well, and I loved it. I mean, people either hate it  or love it I think. It's not like we live in NYC where the city is really gorgeous, mostly business people at all times throughout the day and night. At night the GSU campus gets kinda scary and quiet but it's not bad if you walk with another person and if your classes, which I believe all the law school classes are in the building close to the parking deck, are close to the parking deck. When I went there for undergrad I tried to avoid scheduling classes after 7 and the classes that were supposed to end at 7 ended up ending earlier so it wasn't a big deal. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, because honestly it's really not that bad, but I don't wanna lie to you either and tell you that it's safe to walk around alone at the GSU campus at night. There have been some armed robberies and stuff so you just gotta watch your back and be careful.

Other than that, if you plan on living on campus, the housing I think they have for the grad students in the GSU lofts... they're not that old but I've known friends that have lived in em and they were nice. They were like furnished apartments and every 2 rooms has their own bathroom and then you have a kitchen and living room. Although the lofts are convenient because they're literally right on campus, I don't recommend living in them because you're going to save a LOT more money getting an apartment or something in an area nearby... If you need help with where to get an apartment I can defly help you with that if you want. Take care... and pray that I get in too please! haha

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:22:39 PM »
I was accepted today for the part-time program!  Feels great.

The gym is new and really impressive. its huge and right across from the law school.

This is actually really good news for me.  I am looking for a place to live down there, and finding a gym is very important to me, so having one close to one of my main locations (work, school, or home) is important.

Has03

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »

The GSU gym is really nice... and it's right on campus. You'll love it... they have a huge swimming pool and they've got a floor for cardio... they have the raquetball and basketball courts (indoor) and offer a lot of great classes. I miss working out there :(

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Has03,
Thats so true! lol. I used to go 4 days aweek at school, since Ive been out of school in May I know I've gained like 15 pounds because I have adesk job now. i miss the gym a lot!

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Congrats again Connelly! and Has03, we're praying for ya!

Merqutio

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
People have been robbed ON the campus?  ??? That's scary... But I guess if you use common sense, the risk is very low. I'm mostly attracted to the lofts because they are already furnished. I don't currently own any furniture of my own. But, are there any apartments that are close to the school which you would recommend?
In: GSU, St John's, Marquette, Baltimore, Mercer, California Western, Syracuse, Cooley, NYLS, Barry, Florida Coastal
Out:
WL:
Pending: Howard, McGeorge, Stetson, Villanova, Denver, Albany

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »
Merqutio,
GSU is in the middle of downtown, so it comes with the territory! You'll see the usual downtown stuff a little crime, homeless people, etc. but its not like downtown New York or anything! Its really not all that bad.
There are apts, the closest in midtown, but they are expensive. There are apartments in the surrounding metro area as well. I'd suggest staying on campus for a semester atleast. then you'd get to know the city and can make your decision better informed.

PennyLane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »
I am thinking about attending GSU. I got accepted this week, but I am having trouble deciding. It's really cheap, but its rank in about 30 slots below my other options and it does not seem to have the best placement.

Any thoughts?

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »
PennyLane,
well thats a hard question that only you can answer.Everybody chooses a law school thats good for them. Even if I get into UGA I'll go to GSU because I'm not in a position to move to Athens and I don't want to commute. It also depends on what type of law you want to practice, does the tier matter if you want to be a public attorney, probably not.  These are all questions that you have to answer on your own.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
Penny, what data are you using that indicates that GSU's placement is not that good?  Poking around on the websites of law firms with offices in Atlanta seemed pretty encouraging to me, as GSU is represented better than I thought it would be.

Looking at your profile on LSN, it would seem that the biggest difference in the schools you are considering is the location where you would likely be getting a job after graduation.  The other difference to consider is that it looks like you may also be deciding between going FT and going PT depending on the school you select.

Since I, too, am in your shoes and looking for a law school to attend, I cannot give you the advice you are likely looking for, but there are several reasons why GSU is a top choice for me.  I applied to GMU, and even though it's nearly 50 places ahead in the rankings, it would have taken something beyond acceptance to get me to go there (though they didn't accept me  :'().  While it is a good school, I was more concerned with where I would be living/working for 4 years during school and then where I'd be working when getting out of school.  Atlanta is a more attractive option to me due to the location of family and the warmer weather.  GSU is also an incredible value, which may provide me more flexibility in choosing work coming out of school.  I am also not fearful (though not idealistic) about the job prospects in Atlanta for GSU grads. 

Hope something I said helps, and good luck in your decision.  You are in a great position, as you have several great schools to choose from.