Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011  (Read 49909 times)

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class of 2011
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
Hey 1L's, our orientation assignments and schedule are online now! Not too bad... Wow, is anyone else getting nervous, anxious, excited?

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »
Link?

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »

http://law.gsu.edu/orientation/

Is anyone else concerned that this whole Law School and the Legal System class at orientation will end up being a crash course in Socratic Method mayhem? I did that brief and feel like I got it all wrong...

And, I'm a parent, so this case really got me scared in more ways than one!!!

haha

hmiller721

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
Lol! I too read the case. I don't know what's worse, the brief or the part about reading chapters 1-7 before orientation for Research, Writing, and Advocacy!

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
What's the deal with financial aid?  I haven't received anything from the office and I received my acceptance just over a month ago.  Do I have to contact them?  Will they snail mail a package?  Or will they email a package?

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
Have you filled out a FAFSA?  GradPlus?  Go to the GoSolar system from the GSU homepage.  Enter your id and password, and look at the financial aid information section.  I had to accept my subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans on this site, complete a loan education test, and apply for GradPlus to cover the $2263 difference for in-state COA.  I spoke with someone in the Financial Aid office this week and she said that they have not yet begun to review GradPlus applications, but that they should start in the next day or two and that they will process these in the order that they were received.  I also asked about when they would disburse loan money and she said that while they have not set a date in stone yet, they traditionally have done this on the last day of orientation.  HTH

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
ThanksA!  I do not have an id and password for GoSolar that I'm aware of.  I have filled out fafsa, and I still need to apply for GradPlus, but I figure there is no point in doing that until I've received my initial FinAid package and I know the COA.  I'll go back through the mail I've received so far.

One more quick question.  Every where else I've received a financial aid package from has included the cost of a lap top in the Cost of Attendance, does GSU?  I can't seem to find much information on their financial aid website.

Have you filled out a FAFSA?  GradPlus?  Go to the GoSolar system from the GSU homepage.  Enter your id and password, and look at the financial aid information section.  I had to accept my subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans on this site, complete a loan education test, and apply for GradPlus to cover the $2263 difference for in-state COA.  I spoke with someone in the Financial Aid office this week and she said that they have not yet begun to review GradPlus applications, but that they should start in the next day or two and that they will process these in the order that they were received.  I also asked about when they would disburse loan money and she said that while they have not set a date in stone yet, they traditionally have done this on the last day of orientation.  HTH

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
HA!  I didn't know I could just go on the website and activate my campus ID, but I figured it out.  Time to check the Financial Aid.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
How do you know what your COA is?  Is that on FAFSA site or GSU?  I have already accepted the loans from the govt, but need some more $$$.  Sad, because GSU is soooo cheap.

RE: the assignment- have any of you gotten the R.W.A books, yet? I hope that 7 chapter thing will be a laughing matter when I actually see the book! If not, I should probably put down all these worthless "law school guides for the people who are really paranoid and neurotic" books and get crackin'...

What about the parent-teenager rule thing?!?!?!  It can't be as easy as it seems, can it?  ???

matta

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
GSU does not include a laptop expense as part of the COA.  In-state COA is a meager $22763 (only about 13,000 after tuition and books).  But, I've heard that they can be accomodating in certain situations and raise individual COA's.  You can take out private loans, above the COA, for these expenses, but you might get a bad interest rate.