Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Civil Procedure  (Read 3094 times)

bb

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »
Anyone know the difference between Glannon's 4th and 5th editions?  Are different editions for supplements pretty much the same?  Thanks!

Nimmy

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 202
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:46:05 AM »
Newer editions will include newer SCOTUS opinions.  Never buy an old edition.

Dr. Balsenschaft

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 152
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »
I answered this same question in another thread. I used the fourth edition last year. Its missing some case law (for instance, Exxon Mobil, 545 U.S. 546 (2005) (supplementary diversity of citizen jurisdiction); Grable & Sons, 545 U.S. 308 (2005) (federal subject-matter jurisdiction)). So long as you're aware that the fourth edition came out in 2001, you'll be fine. The book is only good for a general overview anyway. I don't think you should rely too heavily on Glannon but I think I'm in the minority with that advice. How heavily you should rely on Glannon depends on the professor. My professor focused heavily on some aspects of Civil Procedure that Glannon barely covered and vice versa. So just be careful and pay attention to what your professor thinks is important.

slacker

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 949
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
I liked Glannon's guide. I also got a brief book since it was my first class of the am and the prof. tended to call on me a lot, even though I wasn't awake.

I agree w/the Dr.'s assessment, but that goes with any supplement. It won't help if it's not covering what the prof. covers and visa versa.

juliemccoy

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1632
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
What's the diff betw the Glannon Guide and the E&E?
Vanderbilt 2010

slacker

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 949
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »
As I recall, I thought the Guide was more straightforward whereas the E&E was more hypos. I'm not sure you need all that many hypos in civ pro.

LVP

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Civil Procedure
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »
Help. OMG, I am going to fail this class. Prof is terrible. Talks super fast and is hard to understand b/c he has trouble with the English language, and is all over the place. I'm freaking lost.

Any recommendations for some supplements to save my sorry butt? I'm going to lose it pretty soon.

Do CALI.  Best kept secret, at least at my school.  Whenever I mention it to someone, there's a 10% chance they say, "oh CALI is awesome," and a 90% chance they say "huh?"

It also happens to be free.

Also, don't forget that you're being graded on a curve, and all of your classmates have the same terrible, non-English speaking, fast talking prof you do.  They'll all take the same exam you do. 

Also, thoughts like "I am going to fail this class" are self-fulfilling prophecies.  As are thoughts like "I'm going to do well in this class."
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#