Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparation for 1L summer classes?  (Read 1655 times)

eestiarmastus

• View Profile
Preparation for 1L summer classes?
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
Hi!

I just found out today that I got into my dream law school, and that I'll probably be starting school in the summer, taking classes in Property and Contracts. I was just wondering what advice you have on preparing for these classes. I've heard I need to get briefs, is that right? I'm sure this is a pretty naive question but I'm really new to all of this. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preparation for 1L summer classes?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
Do not do any preparation for your summer classes.  Some people will recommend LEEWS or some books about law school, but save your money and your time. 

As far as briefs go, dont buy them.  You will write them yourself when you get to school, and it is an important skill to learn and develop as it helps you prepare for exacting information for your legal writing class.

And, congrats on getting into your dream school (baylor?) :)  make sure that law school is something you really want to do before you jump into it as it is hard to go back after you start.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
Yeah, I know, may as well have just said Baylor ;).  Either Baylor or maybe Iowa as those are the only two decent law schools I can think of that start students in the summer. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Ditto on most of thorc's advice.  I do recommend LEEWS, though I'm not sure if I'd recommend it pre-law school.  I did LEEWS in late October my first semester of 1L; I wish I had done it a month earlier.  I'm not sure how that timing would translate to summer classes though.

eestiarmastus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
Actually I'm going to be at Duke's summer start for people getting dual degrees (I'm doing the JD/LLM in International and Comparative Law). But thank you very much for the advice, its really good to hear from people who have gone through this before.

Do any of you have any advice on getting through long classes? I have trouble staying engaged in 50 minute classes and the summer ones are going to be 1hr 25 minutes each x 2 for 5 days a week!

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Actually I'm going to be at Duke's summer start for people getting dual degrees (I'm doing the JD/LLM in International and Comparative Law). But thank you very much for the advice, its really good to hear from people who have gone through this before.

Do any of you have any advice on getting through long classes? I have trouble staying engaged in 50 minute classes and the summer ones are going to be 1hr 25 minutes each x 2 for 5 days a week!

Why would you waste time and money on an LLM?  It is not going to make you any more marketable.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
maybe bring a snack to class?  most of our longer classes have short breaks in between, but not the 130 classes.  its easier to stay up in law school though, because you are typing non-stop. 

i kinda agree about the LLM though... very little benefit when you already are in a great school and its not tax.  do what you want though :)

eestiarmastus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »

I'm not doing it to be more "marketable" - I'm doing it because I want to study international law.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »

I'm not doing it to be more "marketable" - I'm doing it because I want to study international law.

You can do that while getting your JD.  Only the first year is required courses.  LLM's take the exact same classes as JD's.  Complete waste of money, but my guess is someone else is footing the bill or you are rich because only a dumbass would take out additional loans for an LLM.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »

My suggestion to you is to surf the internet when you're bored. It always helps. That or ask a question every 5 minutes to keep you on your toes. (while at the same time annoying the professor and your classmates)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. 1 and a half hours isn't that long in the scheme of things.