Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: no idea what i am doing here  (Read 1539 times)

intel

• View Profile
no idea what i am doing here
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:35:19 AM »
i'm a 1L at T25 school. i went part time first semester but did not work. i got an A+ and a B+ (3.833 on a 3.1 curve) and a pass in my writing class. i have since switched to the day program. for whatever reason i did not even think about starting the job search over Christmas break. then school started in January and i was so focused on keeping up with my work that i still didn't send out any applications. so now I'm pretty worried i won't have anything to do this summer.

so, what is the best plan of attack here? once again i am a 1L at a T25 with only two grades under my belt. what are my realistic job prospects for this summer? i'm guessing state court and small-to-mid size firms? where and how should i direct my efforts? any advice is greatly appreciated.

McLovin

• View Profile
Re: no idea what i am doing here
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:44:14 AM »
Well, if you want to get paid this summer, which is a possibility for you due to your GPA/school you need to send out some resumes SOON.  You may have a chance at some small/mid-size firms, as they might not have done their hiring yet.  Trying applying to some state appellate courts, but if that doesn't work out state trial court is also a good option.  You'll be able to make lots of connections and might wind up with a clerkship offer (when you graduate) if some judges really like you.  Just do something in the legal field.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:02:20 AM »
Many public interest employers are hiring now/soon as well, including PD and DA offices.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
From what I've heard, you have plenty of time ... places hire through June (yes, through June ... I know that might be a little late to start, but still).  Some smaller firms and some judges just don't think about hiring this early, so there will be a lot of places that start hiring in March or April for the summer.  Or you could start talking to professors about opportunities (like researching with them or other options).

It isn't hopeless ... there are just a lot of overly eager beavers in LS. :D

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
Well, if you want to get paid this summer, which is a possibility for you due to your GPA/school you need to send out some resumes SOON.  You may have a chance at some small/mid-size firms, as they might not have done their hiring yet.  Trying applying to some state appellate courts, but if that doesn't work out state trial court is also a good option.  You'll be able to make lots of connections and might wind up with a clerkship offer (when you graduate) if some judges really like you.  Just do something in the legal field.

thanks. so how do i know which firms to send apps out too? that is, how do i tell which ones are small and mid sized? also, do i just send them my resume/cover letter/transcript?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »
Doesn't your CPD (Career development people) help you out?  We get "postings/emails" about potential jobs (although very few in our area so far - I'm holding out, b/c they apparently hire later).  If they don't actively help you, then you should go talk to them - they DO have connections (provided that you don't have any connections to lawyers in your family or group of friends).