Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Document Review  (Read 1208 times)

ttiwed

Document Review
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »

paranoidandroid

• View Profile
Re: Document Review
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Most first year associates end up doing doc review their first year. When faced with large doc reviews, firms contract with temporary legal service firms that assign contract attorneys to help with these voluminous doc review projects.  Rate of pay depends on the market and whether you are a licensed attorney.  Unlicensed pay rate is about about $25 - $30 per hour. Licensed pay rate is about $35 - $40 per hour.  Here's a recent article on working as a contract attorney and another on outsourcing legal document review services.   

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »
Anyone know anything about document review jobs after graduation? How well does it pay? What does it consist of? What companies or firms hire to do this? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.

I've heard the contract attys doing doc review work in TERRIBLE conditions.  They're sweatshops.  The firms you work for treat you like complete crap because they don't give a damn about you (less so than their "real" associates - clients are starting to care a little bit about attrition rates now).

There's a blog with stories from people who worked these jobs...I'll see if I can track it down again and post the link.

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
Anyone know anything about document review jobs after graduation? How well does it pay? What does it consist of? What companies or firms hire to do this? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.

I've heard the contract attys doing doc review work in TERRIBLE conditions.  They're sweatshops.  The firms you work for treat you like complete crap because they don't give a d**mn about you (less so than their "real" associates - clients are starting to care a little bit about attrition rates now).

There's a blog with stories from people who worked these jobs...I'll see if I can track it down again and post the link.

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

I've heard the contract attys doing doc review work in TERRIBLE conditions.  They're sweatshops.  The firms you work for treat you like complete crap because they don't give a d**mn about you (less so than their "real" associates - clients are starting to care a little bit about attrition rates now).

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/

That was it!  Thanks vap!

vaplaugh

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
whoa that blog scared me. good thing I am not in New York. Definitely gives you motivation to do well in school.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
anyone got a link to blogs about first couple years in biglaw? prob not the same kind of conditions, but it would be interesting to read

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
This is the problem with not being able to effectively outsource legal jobs.

vaplaugh

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:21:13 AM »
anyone got a link to blogs about first couple years in biglaw? prob not the same kind of conditions, but it would be interesting to read

not billable = not worth it.

My guess, at least.