Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How bad of grades to drop out of top ten  (Read 2006 times)

badatlawschool

• View Profile
How bad of grades to drop out of top ten
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:51:41 PM »
Completely serious question-- how bad would my grades have to be before I should just realize law school isn't for me?  Should you stay if you are the bottom of the class at a top ten school (and you tried).

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How bad of grades to drop out of top ten
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
I will never be a student at one of those schools so I don't really know, but I certainly get the impression that just listing JD from Top10 on your resume is enough to go places without even getting to grades.  Obviously not the most prestigious jobs, but still better than I'd probably do if I remain at this third-tier.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »
Someone graduates at the bottom of every single class at every single law school, including the T14.  And I'm sure those bottom students at top 10 schools have an easier time finding a job than students at bottom ranked schools.

So if you want to be an attorney, and you don't absolutely hate law school, I'd start working on your networking skills and using your school's reputation to your advantage.

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:03:34 AM »
I don't know about your particular T10 school, but Penn, for example (not mine--I'm higher  ;D) has 99% employmement at graduation, meaning at least 9% of the bottom 10% were employed.  Who know what those jobs were, or whether the jobs were the students first choice firm or city, but it's employment.

Do you have to be at a top firm?  Do you have to be at a firm at all?  How about a professor?  Look at what you want with your degree.  There are, frankly, some jobs that are not available to someone in the bottom 10%.  Wachtell, for example.  However, if all you want to do is practice law for a firm that you like in a city that you like, why not?  BTW, you should really talk to your career services center, as well as your academic advising center.  They meet with, oh I'd say 100% or so of the bottom 10% of each class every year.  They'll have some advice for you.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:53 AM »
I don't know about your particular T10 school, but Penn, for example (not mine--I'm higher  ;D) has 99% employmement at graduation, meaning at least 9% of the bottom 10% were employed.   Who know what those jobs were, or whether the jobs were the students first choice firm or city, but it's employment.

Do you have to be at a top firm?  Do you have to be at a firm at all?  How about a professor?  Look at what you want with your degree.  There are, frankly, some jobs that are not available to someone in the bottom 10%.  Wachtell, for example.  However, if all you want to do is practice law for a firm that you like in a city that you like, why not?  BTW, you should really talk to your career services center, as well as your academic advising center.  They meet with, oh I'd say 100% or so of the bottom 10% of each class every year.  They'll have some advice for you.

If a school has a 99% employment rate at graduation that DOES NOT mean that "at least 9% of the bottom 10% were employed."  The 1% that is "unemployed at graduation" might as well be a studnet in the top of the class.  In a different situation, your math gives the impression that if a school has an 80% employment rate at grad, the kids in the bottom 20% of the class should be concerned.  That is by no means true.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
Id say stick with it.  worst case, you have to put a few years in working for someone you really dont want to before your grades "disappear" and you can do whatever you want.  Supposedly after your first job, grades dont matter or at least not as much.  It doesnt hurt to stick with it.  You are obviously intelligent or you wouldnt have gotten in.  Just enjoy your time in law school, learn as much as you can, and take whatever job you can after graduation.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
Relax, and stay in.  You WILL get a job. 

If your grades aren't great, just be sure that your social skills are.

Vincanity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
If a school has a 99% employment rate at graduation that DOES NOT mean that "at least 9% of the bottom 10% were employed."  The 1% that is "unemployed at graduation" might as well be a studnet in the top of the class.  In a different situation, your math gives the impression that if a school has an 80% employment rate at grad, the kids in the bottom 20% of the class should be concerned.  That is by no means true.

TPS' statement was actually correct.  If the school has a 99% placement rate, "at least" 9% of of the bottom 10% of the class has a job at graduation.  Every single 3L in the bottom 10% could have employment, but at least 9% does.

badatlawschool

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone... I had thoughts about what I wanted to do when I first came to law school, but these grades blew those plans out of the water, but I like the idea of taking a job, working hard and making my grades disappear..or at least fade. :)  At least I found a job for this summer before grades came out, hope they won't rescind my offer. :)

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
I'd also encourage you to try your best again this semester--go talk with EACH of your professors about your exams, do some exam writing courses, and try, try, try. Though it's not exactly the same situation, I just barely placed in the top twenty-five percent at my T10 first semester... I did exactly those things mentioned above and earned top three percent grades in the spring, placing me firmly into the top ten percent overall. You ~can~ improve your grades significantly if you really put the effort out. The only people who stay at the bottom of the class are the people who simply give up.