Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: curious  (Read 755 times)

redjay

• View Profile
curious
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Anyone here pursuing a JD/masters in something other than business?
What kind?
What do you expect it to do for you?

-writing a memo and bored

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: curious
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »
a lot of people to masters in public health and then do some health related law stuff.  not my thing though.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
seen a few pretty decent schools with a joint degree program matched with an MA in English...seems interesting though I don't know how beneficial it could be...seems like it might not be the best investment of time, but thats completely unfounded.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:52:40 PM »
seen a few pretty decent schools with a joint degree program matched with an MA in English...seems interesting though I don't know how beneficial it could be...seems like it might not be the best investment of time, but thats completely unfounded.

id agree, i think getting an MA in general is kinda useless if you want to be a lawyer with the obvious exceptions of MBAs, MPHs, and anything related to engineering.  but, its whatever makes people happy i guess..

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
JD/Masters in Accounting may be beneficial to tax law; also I think some schools offer a JD/LLM in 3.5 years, but I can't cite that for sure.

Some people get JD/MS Econ for Antitrust law

Some get JD/MS in some science for Environmental

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »
JD/Masters in Accounting may be beneficial to tax law; also I think some schools offer a JD/LLM in 3.5 years, but I can't cite that for sure.

Some people get JD/MS Econ for Antitrust law

Some get JD/MS in some science for Environmental

okay, add those to my list :)

I could see the benefit int hose, english, probably not so much..

red

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
Catholic offers quite a few.

J.D./M.A. Politics
n J.D./M.A. Psychology
n J.D./M.S.W. Social Work
n J.D./M.A. Philosophy
n J.D./M.S.L.S Library Science
n J.D./J.C.L. Licentiate in Canon Law
n J.D./M.A. History

I can imagine that a joint degree with Library Science would be required if you wanted to be a law librarian. (not my thing, but to each his own)  Also, I think people like social work if they are going to do guardianship or child advocacy work.

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »
My scholarship covers up to 4 years of study (so I could have done a dual degree for free) but I decided to stick with the JD only. I briefly considered a JD/MSW but after doing some research realized that you don't really need both, if you want to practice law you don't need the MSW and if you want to practice social work you don't really need the JD.

I'm also ready to be done with school and I'm only a 2L! I do know a surprising amount of dual degree students though (JD/PhD, JD/MSW, JD/MBA, MD/Phd)