Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Spread The Word Before Tuesday  (Read 5417 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Spread The Word Before Tuesday
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Are you even listening or just repeating what people say?  What detailed policies have Clinton or McCain articulated in speeches which Obama has not?  Name one.

If you actually listen to Obama talk, he doesn't say anything of substance.  All he says is change.  Most candidates are similarly empty, but not to this extent.  I don't think he's a bad candidate, but I think what he says sounds a lot better than it actually is.

Hey Now

• Sr. Citizen
  • This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
I'm listening... it's obvious if you're listening.  Attacking the shortcomings of Clinton and McCain doesn't mean that Obama has actually said anything.  I realize that all campaigns are mostly empty fluff, but the fact is people believe Obama's fluff is real when there's no good reason to.  I just think he gets too much credit for his hope/change message, and that people buying into it need to be more critical of what he's saying.  The Jeremiah Wright thing has calmed his campaign down a little, but at one point he was being treated like a deity.
Law School Yeah

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »
but the fact is people believe Obama's fluff is real when there's no good reason to.   

If you go to his website, his policies/beliefs are fairly well detailed.

Also, watch his speech on race... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe7wTVbLUU
And try to tell me he hasn't said anything of substance
You may disagree with some/many of the points, but it's not fluff. 

I think the "Obama is just fluff" thing is just something that people have said so often that it is believed on nothing but the force of its repetition.

The Jeremiah Wright thing has calmed his campaign down a little, but at one point he was being treated like a deity.

Frankly, I think the "Obama is/was a media darling" is another one of those things that just keeps getting repeated with little factual support. They were a bit over-exuberant after Iowa, but they immediately turned on Obama after New Hampshire. If anything, he is getting attacked left and right by the media now, often for completely ridiculous things (like not wearing a flag lapel pin). My take is the media just likes the ratings the fight brings with it. They have a vested interest in keeping things close- so the tendency will be to try to attack any candidate that is ahead.

Frankly, I think the media is being borderline willfully ignorant in it's reporting of Jeramiah Wright. But, I suppose everyone likes a good scandal (even a manufactured one)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

10-7B

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »

Obama -- Military Service? Sorry! But my Grandpa was a veteran!

Obama calls his grandparents who put a roof above his head "white folks"

He responded: "I will cede to no one the ability to talk about veterans issues. My grandfather was a veteran. Those veterans benefits helped my grandparents to raise my mother. I have veterans throughout the state of Illinois that I've been fighting for since I came into the United States Senate."

It's not the first time! Barack Obama has called his grandmother a "typical white person" in a radio interview on Thursday, raising eyebrows among some of his critics only days after he sought to bridge racial division in a major campaign speech. Obama had pointed to his mother's mother in his speech Tuesday as an example of someone who harbored fears of blacks based on racial prejudice. The Illinois senator revisited his relationship with his grandmother on Thursday in an interview on 610 WIP, Philadelphia Sports Radio. He denied his grandmother held hatred toward blacks, but described her as a "typical white person."

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity — she doesn't," he said. "But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, there is a reaction. That has been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way." In the speech, he said: "I can no more disown [Wright] than I can disown my white grandmother, a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Geraldine Ferraro complained that Obama had lumped her in with his controversial pastor, whom she called a "racist bigot." Obama mentioned the 1984 vice presidential candidate on Tuesday in his speech on race and his relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., whose heated, anti-U.S. sermons raised questions about the company Obama keeps. "To equate what I said with what this racist bigot has said from the pulpit is unbelievable," Ferraro told the Los Angeles newspaper, The Daily Breeze, on Wednesday. "He gave a very good speech on race relations, but he did not address the fact that this man is up there spewing hatred." Ferraro, who left Hillary Clinton's campaign finance team after saying Obama wouldn’t be where he is if he were white, said she had "no clue" why Obama included her in his speech. She said Obama's relationship with Wright raises questions about his judgment. "What this man is doing is he is spewing that stuff out to young people, and to younger people than Obama, and putting it in their heads that it's OK to say 'God damn America' and it's OK to beat up on white people," she said. "You don't preach that from the pulpit." The Wright controversy lit up shortly after Ferraro left her post on the Clinton finance committee following her initial interview with The Daily Breeze on Obama's success.
Come follow, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow me!
Whither shall I follow, follow, follow,
Whither shall I follow, follow thee?
To the greenwood, to the greenwood,
To the greenwood, greenwood tree!

STATA

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »

Obama -- Military Service? Sorry! But my Grandpa was a veteran!

Obama calls his grandparents who put a roof above his head "white folks"

It's not the first time! Barack Obama has called his grandmother a "typical white person" in a radio interview on Thursday, raising eyebrows among some of his critics only days after he sought to bridge racial division in a major campaign speech. Obama had pointed to his mother's mother in his speech Tuesday as an example of someone who harbored fears of blacks based on racial prejudice. The Illinois senator revisited his relationship with his grandmother on Thursday in an interview on 610 WIP, Philadelphia Sports Radio. He denied his grandmother held hatred toward blacks, but described her as a "typical white person."

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity — she doesn't," he said. "But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, there is a reaction. That has been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way." In the speech, he said: "I can no more disown [Wright] than I can disown my white grandmother, a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed her by on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Geraldine Ferraro complained that Obama had lumped her in with his controversial pastor, whom she called a "racist bigot." Obama mentioned the 1984 vice presidential candidate on Tuesday in his speech on race and his relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., whose heated, anti-U.S. sermons raised questions about the company Obama keeps. "To equate what I said with what this racist bigot has said from the pulpit is unbelievable," Ferraro told the Los Angeles newspaper, The Daily Breeze, on Wednesday. "He gave a very good speech on race relations, but he did not address the fact that this man is up there spewing hatred." Ferraro, who left Hillary Clinton's campaign finance team after saying Obama wouldn’t be where he is if he were white, said she had "no clue" why Obama included her in his speech.

Just like in those case-control studies, the major issue in his case is BIAS!

free internet

• View Profile
Miss USA endorses Obama
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

NHA TRANG, Vietnam (AFP) - Miss USA has no idea whether she'll take the crown at the Miss Universe contest on Monday, but she's already decided who's got her vote in the White House race -- Barack Obama. One of 80 hopefuls in the global beauty pageant to be held in Vietnam, 26-year-old Crystle Stewart said while she admired both candidates, she was more drawn to the Democratic hopeful. "I like Barack Obama -- just his poise and the way he motivates people -- and that's something that draws me," said the Texan beauty, who works as a motivational speaker and is writing a book called "Waiting to Win." Asked if she would vote for Obama, she said: "That's a secret, but yes!" "John McCain is an American hero," she said of the Republican Party hopeful, a senator from Arizona and former naval pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. "I'm actually kind of torn because I think he's a great person, he's older and he might be a little bit wiser," she told AFP on the eve of the Miss Universe contest, to be broadcast Sunday evening US time.

"But Obama's on the higher end of the list," she added.

Stewart said she was proud to represent the United States in an event held in Vietnam, once America's battlefield enemy, because the show could act as a bridge between the countries and help post-war reconciliation. "That was 30 years ago, and we had a terrible conflict, but now we're working together, and I think this will show everyone that USA and Vietnam can be very friendly and cordial to each other," she said. "Hopefully we can be role models to other countries, to work in cooperation and peace together... It's bringing the countries closer together."

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miss USA endorses Obama
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »

NHA TRANG, Vietnam (AFP) - Miss USA has no idea whether she'll take the crown at the Miss Universe contest on Monday, but she's already decided who's got her vote in the White House race -- Barack Obama. One of 80 hopefuls in the global beauty pageant to be held in Vietnam, 26-year-old Crystle Stewart said while she admired both candidates, she was more drawn to the Democratic hopeful. "I like Barack Obama -- just his poise and the way he motivates people -- and that's something that draws me," said the Texan beauty, who works as a motivational speaker and is writing a book called "Waiting to Win." Asked if she would vote for Obama, she said: "That's a secret, but yes!" "John McCain is an American hero," she said of the Republican Party hopeful, a senator from Arizona and former naval pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. "I'm actually kind of torn because I think he's a great person, he's older and he might be a little bit wiser," she told AFP on the eve of the Miss Universe contest, to be broadcast Sunday evening US time.

Stewart said she was proud to represent the United States in an event held in Vietnam, once America's battlefield enemy, because the show could act as a bridge between the countries and help post-war reconciliation. "That was 30 years ago, and we had a terrible conflict, but now we're working together, and I think this will show everyone that USA and Vietnam can be very friendly and cordial to each other," she said. "Hopefully we can be role models to other countries, to work in cooperation and peace together... It's bringing the countries closer together."

It's funny when models pretend they are intelligent

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miss USA endorses Obama
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
What's even funnier is watching Miss USA trip.  Over and over again.

It's funny when models pretend they are intelligent

brasky

• View Profile
    • Save your soul!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
Don't tell me I missed my chance to vote!
Save your soul!  The afterlife operates because of donations!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology.
http://supermanversusjesus.blogspot.com

pregap

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »