Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Spread The Word Before Tuesday  (Read 5394 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Spread The Word Before Tuesday
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »
I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

McCain is too conservative, even for most Republicans.  It will kill him come election day.

This is just plain ignorant.  Most conservatives are appalled that McCain might get the nomination because he is too moderate.  They can't stand that he sponsored McCain-Feingold and that he is not racist enough against Mexicans.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

Yes, there is a definite need for change in our system and who runs our country, both executive and legislative branches.  However, voting in a totally unqualified person just because he isn't the "typical politician" is just insane.

This is such a ridiculous argument that I keep hearing that he doesn't have enough experience.  There is no experience that will prepare a person for being President of the US.  The job is so difficult and so unique that it is impossible to be adequately prepared.

Look at the other candidates:  Romney was a Governor, Huckabee a Governor, McCain a Senator, Hillary Clinton a Senator, Obama a Senator.  Insanely, the same people who supported Giuliani, whose experience was being a mayor, argued that Obama lacked experience.

None of the candidates have ever been President (and no, being First Lady does not equate to being President). 

I think Hillary Clinton would be a good president and I think its high time that a woman is elected to lead our country, but Hillary getting the nomination is an assurance that the Republicans will be in office again in 2009.  She is too polarizing a figure and with the likely victory of McCain on the other side, her lack of moderate support will ensure the Democrats defeat in November. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »
I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

McCain is too conservative, even for most Republicans.  It will kill him come election day.

This is just plain ignorant.  Most conservatives are appalled that McCain might get the nomination because he is too moderate.  They can't stand that he sponsored McCain-Feingold and that he is not racist enough against Mexicans.

This isn't ignorant, it is a matter of opinion.  I realize the repubs think that McCain is too liberal, but to me, making one of your strongest platforms your desire to appoint justices to overturn Roe v. Wade is hardly a liberal state of mind. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »
I doubt many Conservatives have a problem with that position.

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »
"Change" "Change" "Change" - all smoke and mirrors just like Bush's patriotic drivel that sucked in so many people but had no substance.  We simply do not know enough about Obama and how he would react in a crisis (or anything else).  Change is not enough - we need some plans and a platform that outlines his views.  We know that Hillary is someone that has been navigating the muddy political waters for a long time and is darn good at it. I will take my chances with her.  (As my Dad always says, "Better the devil you know".)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
"Change" "Change" "Change" - all smoke and mirrors just like Bush's patriotic drivel that sucked in so many people but had no substance.  We simply do not know enough about Obama and how he would react in a crisis (or anything else).  Change is not enough - we need some plans and a platform that outlines his views.  We know that Hillary is someone that has been navigating the muddy political waters for a long time and is darn good at it. I will take my chances with her.  (As my Dad always says, "Better the devil you know".)

What evidence do you have to indicate how Clinton would react to a crisis?

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

Yes, there is a definite need for change in our system and who runs our country, both executive and legislative branches.  However, voting in a totally unqualified person just because he isn't the "typical politician" is just insane.

This is such a ridiculous argument that I keep hearing that he doesn't have enough experience.  There is no experience that will prepare a person for being President of the US.  The job is so difficult and so unique that it is impossible to be adequately prepared.

Look at the other candidates:  Romney was a Governor, Huckabee a Governor, McCain a Senator, Hillary Clinton a Senator, Obama a Senator.  Insanely, the same people who supported Giuliani, whose experience was being a mayor, argued that Obama lacked experience.

None of the candidates have ever been President (and no, being First Lady does not equate to being President). 

I think Hillary Clinton would be a good president and I think its high time that a woman is elected to lead our country, but Hillary getting the nomination is an assurance that the Republicans will be in office again in 2009.  She is too polarizing a figure and with the likely victory of McCain on the other side, her lack of moderate support will ensure the Democrats defeat in November. 

Exactly where in my post did I say he was inexperienced?????  I said unqualified.  There is a big difference between these two words and you should know that.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »
"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."

Art. II, Sec. 1, Paragraph 4, Qualifications for President.

Which qualification is he lacking?

Exactly where in my post did I say he was inexperienced?????  I said unqualified.  There is a big difference between these two words and you should know that.

al so

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."

The "age of thirty-five years" requirement is ridiculous!
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?

solo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »

The "age of thirty-five years" requirement is ridiculous!

The first two clauses are no joke either! :)