Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Spread The Word Before Tuesday  (Read 5308 times)

airroh82

• View Profile
    • Email
Spread The Word Before Tuesday
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
hey guys,

hope all is going well. please take the time to read this and pass this on to other people you know. i normally don't do this but if you havent made up your mind as to whom your going to vote for in the primary this tuesday hopefully you'll give Barack Obama a chance. im sure you've all heard his message about change, so i don't need to repeat it. but i will say that so many of us are always complaining about being fed up with how our government is disfunctional, divisive, and never gets anything done. yet, every november, and every primary we: democrats, republicans and independents etc... continually vote for the same cookie cutter "experienced", "buzzword", politician who ends up doing nothing in the end.

Barack Obama is different, he's not some we'll rehearsed robot who gives long winded tangents when asked to address the issue, nor is he some shoot from the hip un-educated blow hard that says the first thing that pops in his head. instead, he choses his words carefully, and gives very articulate, rational, and soundly reasoned responses that actually address the issue. also, unlike many candidates that have come and gone, Barack Obama actually makes you feel inspired to do something, he gives you hope that this country can still right itself.

i know those of us who have party offiliations, might chose to support the Repubican or the "Experienced Democrat." but as we've seen, none of those Republican candidates a) seem to have a graspe on the pulse of the country as to what the people are saying, rather they are chosing to run on this "Stay the Course in Iraq", when the overwhelming majority of the country wants to leave; b) if they do graspe that pulse in some respects, they offer idealistic solutions that are not feasible "Abolish the IRS," "Support the Bush Tax Cuts". now for a little reality check, we can agree that we all hate taxes, but under the Republican Government the last 7 years, they've cut taxes, from the top 1% a) who didnt need it and b) when u cut taxes from one area, you need to raise taxes somewhere else to offset the costs, that didn't happen, not to mention voting for a useless war (without raising taxes to support it) and combined with their outrageous pork barrell earmarks on bills voted into legislation (democrat run congress has been fighting since 2007 to limit this), the've succeeded to run this country into trillions of dollars in debt. the've effectively reversed the economic success of the clinton years. don't forget Mitt Romney pumping $Millions from his own pocket into a campaign thats only seen him win Wyoming, and Michigan thus far, giving another example of the typical "fiscal responsible conservative."

so the simple solution to this, lets vote hillary clinton. yes i know that might be the easiest thing to do, but if she were to win the nomination a) she's devisive, according to FOX NEWS and many Republican Strategists, she's the one presidential candidate who can rally that party to unite in opposition of her; which would lead to us having potentially another 4 years of 1) same old same old, 2) another 4 years of the War, 3) if McCain wins, another president who would support the Bush Tax Cuts, which he no longer opposes. b) if she wins the nomination and somehow becomes the next president, that means we could potentially have between 24-28 years of Bush-Clinton dominated White House. i thought the beauty of this country was that we don't have dynasties, our founding fathers would want us to stand up against this sort of thing. they didn't die from 1776-1783 so that we as the heirs to their revolution could stand appathetic as the constitution has been ignored and violated the last 8 years, as well as having two families run this country. don't forget that Bill and George senior have been quite chummy since the 2005 Tsunami. sure there are differences between the bushs' and the clintons', the bush family will do whatever it takes to gain power, even if that means rigging elections, or violating the constitution; while the clintons will say and do anything to regain control of the white house.

have u seen Hilary's latest ad? she begins the ad "the stakes are high", and at the end says "i'm Hilary Clinton, and I support this message because the stakes have never been higher," so she's essentially telling us that she won't certify her promises to us the voters when there isnt an easier chance for the democrats to win the presidency. her conduct over the last month also plays to this. while campaigning in Iowa and New Hampshire for the Democratic Primaries in those states, she promised the Democratic National Committee, that she would support their decision to strip Florida and Michigan of their delegates as punishment for chosing to push their elections ahead of Super Tuesday. Barack Obama and the other democrats along with Clinton gave their oath to not campaign in those states. Clinton also wen't on record as saying that the candidates should stand by their promise to the DNC. But, she then won the primary in Michigan 50% for her and 40% for Undecided, because candidates such as Obama and Edwards removed their names from the Ballots, sticking to their guns, unlike Mrs. Clinton. to top it off though, she made an appearance in Florida on the day she won that primary and said "I promise you that when I go to the convention, I will fight to have your delegates, and Michigan's seated." Hillary being the "experienced" politician that she is would in all likelihood have been outspoken against Obama had he won either primary and pulled the same stunt she did this past tuesday.

but yes thats part of the game, only the "experienced" know how to "play" it. Hillary is definately an experienced politician i might say, and like a typical politician she says one thing and does another, or changes positions on issues when the time is right, such as the Iraq War. this is her take on her position "had i known then, what i know now, i wouldn't have voted for the war!" that sounds a lot like the "we made our decision to invade iraq, based on the intelligence we had at that time"/"according to our intelligence, we know where the WMD's are, there in the area between Basra and Tikrit, North South East and West" being shoved in our faces by Bush/Chaney/Rumsfeld/Powell/Rice/Fox News. Barack Obama is different, he's been against the war since day 1, but he did vote for the Iraq War spending Bill once he became a US Senator, like Hillary will remind us, but what she forgets to say is that, the Bill contained necessary funds allocated to providing essential equipment/better body armour/for the troops, which they were lacking in the begining. Hillary in her own words would also characterize herself as a politician when you sit back and read between the lines.

"A good President knows the difference between a Politician and a Statesman...the politician looks to the next election, while a statesman looks to the future." Hillary would have us believe that shes a statesman, but once these words are put into context, she can't fool us. these comments were made in Tennessee 2 hours after the polls closed last saturday night in South Carolina, a state where she and Bill stopped at nothing to characterize Barack Obama as Jessie Jackson, while attempting to pigeon hole him as "the Black Candidate". the resut of their efforts was Barack Obama winning that primary by receiving 55% of the vote, to her 27%. instead of giving her concession speech in that state, she got out of dodge as fast as she could, and "went to the next election" in Tennessee, which votes this coming tuesday.

Barack Obama may not be the "experienced politician" that Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Mitt Romney might be, but unlike those 3; he's young, he brings people together (he's strongly supported by independent voters), unlike our current President, Barack Obama is the "UNITER"; and he has the ability to make people believe in their representatives again. unlike Jessie Jackson in 1984 and 1988, he's got the support of the Kennedy family; the people of Iowa voted for him, and he polled well in New Hampshire. I've been to one of his rallies, and it was more electric than any sporting event, or concert that iv'e ever attended. even if you dont end up voting for him, I thank you for taking the time to read this, and would really appreciate this if it will be passed along between now and tuesday. win or lose, hopefully the candidate we vote for ends up stearing this country back in the right direction again.

-Rohit

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Spread The Word Before Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »
You are absolutely correct!  I sincerely hope that Obama is elected AND that he follows through. 

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
Generally law students are independent thinkers, or are at least taught how think independently.  Your approach is paternalistic - like your candidate. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
I don't take advice from people who use "u" instead of "you" and can't spell the name of the frontrunner. 

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 09:11:11 PM »
tl;dr

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »
I think it's because OP has never seen a political ad before?  (That formulation is pretty standard -- "I'm So-And-So and I approve this message because [insert ad theme here].")

DESTINED21

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »
Hoorah for Obama....But I am still voting for Hillary....

Cafe Cargo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »
I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
I'm sorry but I've a feeling the "diversity" strategy of the Dems this year is going to backfire with McCain easily getting the presidency..

McCain is too conservative, even for most Republicans.  It will kill him come election day.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
"i thought the beauty of this country was that we don't have dynasties, our founding fathers would want us to stand up against this sort of thing. they didn't die from 1776-1783 so that we as the heirs to their revolution could stand appathetic as the constitution has been ignored and violated the last 8 years, as well as having two families run this country."

Ok, didn't get past this statement.  Where did the founding fathers argue that there should not be any political dynasties?  There are two very early presidents that were father and son, The Adams'.  The two term limit on the president didn't come until 1951 with the 22nd Amendment.  So, if you are going to make a statement like this, you really should explain yourself because I, and I know many like me, will just stop when you make blanket statements that make no sense.

In addition, if you can not write a post that supports your candidate without talking negatively about the other, that doesn't say much about your candidate.

Yes, there is a definite need for change in our system and who runs our country, both executive and legislative branches.  However, voting in a totally unqualified person just because he isn't the "typical politician" is just insane.