Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worth it to become an editor on law review?  (Read 1772 times)

brownsfan05

• View Profile
Is it worth it to become an editor on law review?
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
Elections are coming and I'm not sure what to do.  If I run, it will be for a position that requires less work, like a notes and comments editor.  But the thing is...I am behind on my credits as a 2l from the time consumption of being an associate member and it will be hard next year to catch up and be an editor.

So I ask you: is it worth it career wise to have editor on my resume?  Or would it only really be worth it to be something like managing editor or editor in chief?

Lloyd

• View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to become an editor on law review?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 03:31:52 PM »
I'd only do it if I wanted to clerk and/or teach. There are no benefits to the actual practice of law.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »
If you dont have a SA lined up already, assuming that is something you even want to pursue, it might be helpful to have it on your resume.  My buddies that are on LR had mixed approaches to it.  Those pursuing big law didnt do it, while those that desired to clerk first thought it would be beneficial. 

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »
I strongly encourage you to do it.  There are certainly benefits to editorial experience beyonds as a means to receiving a clerkship - I see the benefits every day in practice.  If you don't do it, I promise you that you will look back and regret having taken the easy road.