Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Judicial Internship Question  (Read 2571 times)

nowallet

• View Profile
Judicial Internship Question
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
I sent quite a few letters out for summer judicial internships. I have not heard anything back in 3 weeks. Along with my cover letter and resume, I submitted a grade report that was incomplete and was missing a class. My grades are now all posted and I did very well.

Should I send another letter (of continued interest) along with my transcript? I am not sure if they even have my resume on file. Do Judges' and their staff keep track of job applications with folders and whatnot?     

vaplaugh

Re: Judicial Internship Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
I sent quite a few letters out for summer judicial internships. I have not heard anything back in 3 weeks. Along with my cover letter and resume, I submitted a grade report that was incomplete and was missing a class. My grades are now all posted and I did very well.

Should I send another letter (of continued interest) along with my transcript? I am not sure if they even have my resume on file. Do Judges' and their staff keep track of job applications with folders and whatnot?     

How many apps did you send out, and what type of judges?

I applied mostly to judges.  When I sent my apps out (about 50 to USDC and 20 to state appellate), all judges that wanted to schedule an interview got back to me within 3 weeks.  You might want to send out another round of apps.

Not sure about the transcript.  Since you already sent a grade report with all but one grade, it would seem unimportant to me.

Pretty sure they keep track of applications - probably depends on the judge.

To not hear ANYthing in 3 weeks is strange.  I'd think lots of them would at least send "we're not hiring" or "already got one" letters.

nowallet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »

To not hear ANYthing in 3 weeks is strange.  I'd think lots of them would at least send "we're not hiring" or "already got one" letters.

My grades were already good without the missing class but that one grade pushed my GPA to excellent.

I applied to federal judges in NY. I got one response back via email (already hired) so I know the letters reached the destination.

I know it is intense competition for the NYC districts but my application can't be that bad...

Do judges usually email or call? I would follow up but the only option is to send another round of letters (no email or number to call).

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »

My grades were already good without the missing class but that one grade pushed my GPA to excellent.

I applied to federal judges in NY. I got one response back via email (already hired) so I know the letters reached the destination.

I know it is intense competition for the NYC districts but my application can't be that bad...

Do judges usually email or call? I would follow up but the only option is to send another round of letters (no email or number to call).

Yeah, USDC in NY might be competitive.  Did you apply to ones outside the city?  Might want to send more out... maybe state intermediate appellate courts, state highest appellate courts, federal magistrate judges.  Maybe outside NY if possible.

Re: email vs. call, it depends on the judge (rather, depends on the judge's clerk/secretary).  I even had one offer to schedule an interview via snail mail.

poiuyt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
Do you think a judicial internship at the state trial level is valuable?

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »

I do.  I think any legal work is valuable.  State trial level judge would be especially valuable if it's in a location you plan to practice and/or if you plan to work as a DA or PD after school.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:32:14 PM »

Why would it not be?  Do you know how many lawyers you'll get to meet just in one day?  Also you meet a lot of judges thus leading to a possible clerkship. 

poiuyt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
Ah, you're right. I was just thinking it's less "prestigious" than a federal level internship.