Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternative to LEEWS? I need an effective exam-taking guide!  (Read 2656 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to LEEWS? I need an effective exam-taking guide!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
I understand the aversion to LEEWS - it's freaking audio tapes / CD's that you have to listen to ... who does that anymore?  I want a book that I can read/re-read and skim/skip parts that don't apply.

Maybe this aversion to working through something is why you didn't do as well as you had hoped to begin with. 

If you don't want to listen to the tapes, go to the one day seminar.

Who said I didn't do as well as I hoped?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
If you are looking for exam prep info. odds are you didn't. 

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
If you are looking for exam prep info. odds are you didn't. 

I'm not ... this isn't my thread.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
I read Getting to Maybe as a 1L and thought that it was very helpful.  I actually went back and skimmed through it this semester before exams. It helped me get my head away from the nitty gritty course details and allowed me to re-focus on exam writing techniques.  Its got some good examples in it.

I didnt do LEEWS, but I've yet to hear of anyone who did it say that it was a waste of time. 

2L

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
I read Getting to Maybe as a 1L and thought that it was very helpful.  I actually went back and skimmed through it this semester before exams. It helped me get my head away from the nitty gritty course details and allowed me to re-focus on exam writing techniques.  Its got some good examples in it.

I didnt do LEEWS, but I've yet to hear of anyone who did it say that it was a waste of time. 

I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time, but I don't really get the raves either.  To me, it seemed to have more limited applicability than it claims to.  It's good for hypos, especially in certain subjects, like Torts.  But my exams tended to have a lot of policy questions.  And Contracts had tons of short answer questions, like multiple choice or true false where you had to explain your answer.

I do think LEEWS helped me systemically spot issues on hypos.  And I'm glad I listened to it/read it.  But I don't think it's miraculous, and I don't feel I got more from the audio course than I would have gotten just from the primer.  And the friends I lent it to feel roughly the same way.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:07 PM »

I did LEEWS just as I started 1L and found it to be a complete waste of time.  It was too complicated.  On exams I've always just written everything I possibly can and have gotten an A on all but one exam.  Professors (at least mine) grade with a rubric where they award points for writing what they want and they don't deduct if you say something stupid.  If you write as much as possible, you have a better chance at getting more of the items on the profs rubric.  Note: I'm assuming how this all works and have no evidence other than my own experiences and my guesses about what the profs are looking for.   

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »

I did LEEWS just as I started 1L and found it to be a complete waste of time.  It was too complicated.  On exams I've always just written everything I possibly can and have gotten an A on all but one exam.  Professors (at least mine) grade with a rubric where they award points for writing what they want and they don't deduct if you say something stupid.  If you write as much as possible, you have a better chance at getting more of the items on the profs rubric.  Note: I'm assuming how this all works and have no evidence other than my own experiences and my guesses about what the profs are looking for.   

I wonder if LEEWS helped you even though you thought it was complicated.  Pretty much everyone I know writes as much as possible on the exam.  Very few people I know get As on everything.  Organization, which arguments you make for which party, your conclusion, your application of the law to the facts all make a difference in your grade.  Vomiting on the page isn't enough.