Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternative to LEEWS? I need an effective exam-taking guide!  (Read 2668 times)

LeVar

• View Profile
Alternative to LEEWS? I need an effective exam-taking guide!
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
I keep hearing about LEEWS, but there MUST be alternatives.  Any suggestions on exam taking guies that work?

Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to LEEWS? I need an effective exam-taking guide!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »
Why the aversion to LEEWS?  I used it, and found it very effective for me, so I never tried another.

A lot of people like the "getting to maybe book" but I can't recommend it as I've never even seen what the cover looks like.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:55:28 AM »
I recommend Getting to Maybe.  But I'd be cautious about any particular exam writing "system."  The main thing that Getting to Maybe teaches you is some organizational techniques and to be sure to argue both sides.  You should really base it on the professor, the specific question, and the grading. 

Does the professor want a cohesive, structured essay or should you be writing stream of consciousness and making lists to get the points?  Does the professor want you to spot every issue or just focus on the important ones?  Should you be writing a normative /policy essay?  Some professors like clever jokes and others hate them.  After reading essays my classmates wrote, I will tell you one thing -- about 10-20% of the people in my class wrote using inappropriate tones.  If you're writing like an attorney from television, chances are you're writing badly.  If you're using words like "Clearly", "obviously", you're probably not writing well.  I'd steer away from first-person and overly informal tones.

If you don't have the divination skills to figure this out on your own, a good technique is to ask the professor (and compare the answer with what you get from other students who have taken their class). 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
I'm curious the aversion to LEEWS as well.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »
I understand the aversion to LEEWS - it's freaking audio tapes / CD's that you have to listen to ... who does that anymore?  I want a book that I can read/re-read and skim/skip parts that don't apply.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
I understand the aversion to LEEWS - it's freaking audio tapes / CD's that you have to listen to ... who does that anymore?  I want a book that I can read/re-read and skim/skip parts that don't apply.

The LEEWS primer is better than nothing, and gets the main points across.  You can get it separately, but it also comes w/ the audio system. 

There's also the live seminars that travel around the country; I had a friend take it in the spring of 1L, and he said he did MUCH better on exams second semester.  The live seminars are pretty much identical to the material in the CDs, from what I understand.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

Maybe this aversion to working through something is why you didn't do as well as you had hoped to begin with. 

If you don't want to listen to the tapes, go to the one day seminar.

LeVar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »
Whoa there -- let's keep it from getting personal!

LEEWS is really expensive.  I just can't believe that none of the other available guides are worthwhile. 

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

LEEWS is really expensive.  I just can't believe that none of the other available guides are worthwhile. 

You're kidding right?  You're spending so much money to attend law school and you're complaining that LEEWS, something which could really help you, is too expensive?  It costs the same as a new textbook.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »

LEEWS isn't all expensive in the grand scheme of things; you can always just get the primer, which if I remember correctly is maybe around $30.  Don't quote me on that; you can find the price on the website.

The primer has all of the main points of LEEWS; it may be missing some of the additional explanation or elaboration though.  You should check eBay and see if there are some up for auction.  1Ls who used it first semester may try to recoup some money.