Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help on deciding what to do this summer  (Read 1232 times)

Peaches

• View Profile
Re: Help on deciding what to do this summer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
Yeah, that's why I wouldn't listen to the guy at a T3/T4 who couldn't get interviews with biglaw. 

1L summer employment isn't NECESSARY to get a job, but good 1L summer employment is certainly helpful... 

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
The answer depends on whether you're a 1L or a 2L.

If you're a 1L, you should just take summer school (to include your clinic).  Get ahead with your hours.  Don't worry about "getting experience".  It is not necessary to work as a 1L to get employment offers as a 2L, nor does it help.  Moreover, employers only give permanent employment offers to 2L's.  Anything you do your 1L summer is generally a one-time deal.

If you're a 2L, and you want any shot of having a job lined up at graduation, you need to go to work...with whomever will hire you. 

Lots of 1Ls work at firms their first summer and get full-time offers. We had 3 1Ls out of 15 SAs in my summer class. All 3 got offers conditioned on spending 2 weeks at the firm their 2L summer. Also, from my experience and observation, working at a firm your 1L summer will help you to get a job at a firm your 2L summer.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 02:56:55 AM »
with as competitive as the market is now, it will be even more competitive by the time the 1Ls enter the real job search phase.  There is no excuse for not working a legal job this summer.  Its expected and it will hurt you if you do not have one.  That said, i dont think a clinic over a job would have a negative impact as it is work.

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »
Yeah, that's why I wouldn't listen to the guy at a T3/T4 who couldn't get interviews with biglaw. 

1L summer employment isn't NECESSARY to get a job, but good 1L summer employment is certainly helpful... 

1L employment isn't NECESSARY to get a job (assuming you are taking "employment" to mean a 1L firm job -- you need to do SOMETHING your 1L summer) -- but those with 1L firm jobs usually have great grades, strong resumes, soft factors, and interview skills that help them with the 2L job search as well. A friend took an unpaid public interest 1L job but is on law review and will be working at a V10 her 2L summer so again, a 1L firm job isn't necessary.

Basically as a 1L you want something interesting to talk about during 2L interviews. Some of my classmates went abroad and took classes (got 6 credits to transfer) which sounded pretty cool and lightens your courseload. A 1L firm job can be a good or bad thing. It was nice to have a return offer, but it made me slack off during interview season (I only applied to a handful of other firms because I liked my 1L firm). It's a lot less stressful, but you might be limiting your options.

For 1L summer, do whatever you prefer. It shouldn't make a huge difference which you choose.