Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supplementing a lower or non-paying job with something NOT legal?  (Read 1075 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Has anyone heard of those who after 1L have a low or non-paying job that doesn't take lots of hours (what I'm looking at might only be 30-35 hours a week), and then supplementing the low pay with another job (i.e. waitressing or something on Saturdays)?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Supplementing a lower or non-paying job with something NOT legal?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Are you talking the summer after 1L?  If so, yes, I've heard of people doing that.  Hell, I worked a full time public interest job (40 hrs/week) that didn't pay, and supplemented that w/ a part time RA position with a professor.

People do what they have to do to pay the rent.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »
I don't think you even necessarily have to put that on your resume or discuss it during 2L interviews if you don't want to.  I wouldn't; a part-time waitressing (or whatever) job wouldn't add anything to my resume.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
It's not uncommon.  One of my interviewers actually asked me if I would be doing that (because the judge wasn't paying anything).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
I know you said "not" but if your reasoning for the job is purely money, then you could look into research assistantship.  They require very few hours and typically pay fairly well (10 an hour I've heard).  If you really want something non-law school related, go for it.  I know people that just did non-legal jobs their first summer and were fine (a while ago and they went to great schools).

no one will care, and if you put something like waiting up on your resume, no one will care, they will think you are motivated.