Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: not that i'm complaining....  (Read 1067 times)

flavor5

• View Profile
    • Email
not that i'm complaining....
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:53:51 AM »
1L at T20.  Grades so far are two As and an A-.  Unfortunately my school doesn't rank and also doesn't give out A+'s.  I know that I'm in the top 10% just based on the percentage of total As and A-'s they give, but no way to prove it.  I'm worried that employers will see my 3.9 for less than it is because of people coming out of schools that give out A+'s with GPAs exceeding 4.0.  Am I being way too paranoid?  Does the fact that my school doesn't rank end up hurting the people at the top?

starter

• View Profile
Re: not that i'm complaining....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
Shut up.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:27:15 AM »
WTF?  People worry about the stupidest crap.

When you put your gpa on your resume, you let them know your grading scheme.  You put 3.8/4.0.  This way, your employer knows there's no possibility of getting an A+.  Also, if you're at a T20, you'll have a good amount of firms coming to OCI; these firms are familiar w/ your school's system re: no ranking.  So they take that into account when reviewing everyone's resumes.

So chill out, and just be happy with your grades.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »
From what I've read, A+s really don't have much impact on the average GPA anyway, when you compare schools on a 4.0 scale to schools on a 4.3 scale, since so few people get them (like 1 in each class).  The vast majority never get a single one.

Lots of top schools don't tell you your rank.  Mine only does after graduation.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »
What's the median?  Employers will likely at least know that or be able to look it up.