Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA  (Read 4611 times)

sven

• MSN Messenger - sven--@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
GPA
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »
What GPA range would one need to be in to obtain a job as a prosecutor/assistant prosecutor (county level) in a small to mid-size city?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:58:39 PM »
What GPA range would one need to be in to obtain a job as a prosecutor/assistant prosecutor (county level) in a small to mid-size city?

GPA doesnt matter.  The only thing relevant is class rank and ranking of the school.  That said, I dont know what you would need from anywhere to do any of that.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:37:48 AM »
In a midsized city, grades will matter a bit.  You won't need to be top of the class, but the bigger the metro area gets, the more competitive these jobs are.

If you're looking in a metro area (I'd say midsized city would count), your grades will be a factor, as well as your school, and your experience (if you've never worked for a DA's office before or haven't done any trial work via internships or summer jobs), you may have a hard time.  In that case, you may want to cast a wider net and try to get into the solicitor's office (if your state has this sort of position).  You'll handle only misdemeanors and traffic stuff, but you'll be in court everyday.  Quite a few of the ADAs in the office I'm working for now started in the solicitor's office, and moved up the ranks after they'd gotten more court experience.

If you're looking in smaller cities or rural counties, grades will matter less; they'll still look at experience, but the positions aren't as competitive, and things will turn more on whether they like you when you interview.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
Grades will not matter nearly as much as they do for firm jobs.  DAs and PDs care more about Clinic participation, coursework and personality/demeanor than grades.

If you have good grades it will help some, but unlike Biglaw, even if you have super high grades, you won't get the job if you don't have the right demeanor.

WhiteSoxFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
I believe I'll be in a similar position as the thread-starter upon graduation in that I'll have a weak GPA.  However, this summer I'll be a certified intern at a decently-sized office(jurisdiction of 350,000).  With this type of experience would a bad GPA(say around a 2.7) be very detrimental?

Also, for the practicing prosecutors out there, do offices typically rehire interns for post-graduation employment assuming the intern did a good job?  Large offices are always hiring new prosecutors, but what about small or mid-size offices?  Do they typically hire new attorneys every year?