Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General etiquette for withdrawing from scheduled interview  (Read 821 times)

bb

• View Profile
General etiquette for withdrawing from scheduled interview
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »
Is there a general policy for when is too late to withdraw from an interview?  This isn't through OCI or anything...just in general.  Say I have an interview in 1 week, but I just accepted an offer.  Should I still interview?  What if the interview is in...3 days?  Thanks in advance!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: General ettiquette for withdrawing from scheduled interview
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
On week or three days, I'd call and let them know you've accepted another offer.  If you have any personal connections at the firm/office, you may want to also call them and explain - you don't want to burn any bridges.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: General etiquette for withdrawing from scheduled interview
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »
I think if you've accepted an offer, there is no reason to take up their time if you won't be accepting their offer. I would cancel and thank them for their interest.

During OCI, I did withdraw from one callback after getting an offer and they were not upset (at least didn't seem to be). I think they'd prefer not to waste their time with people who don't plan on coming to work for them.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: General ettiquette for withdrawing from scheduled interview
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
This is the best answer.  Unless you think you might consider the other job--in which case, you shouldn't have accepted the first offer. 

The best thing to do is call as soon as you know that you won't be taking the position--that should have been as soon as you accepted another offer.

On week or three days, I'd call and let them know you've accepted another offer.  If you have any personal connections at the firm/office, you may want to also call them and explain - you don't want to burn any bridges.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
I know this thread isn't about OCIs, but before withdrawing (or no-showing) for an OCI interview, be sure to talk to Career Services for advice.

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »
Also, send a letter thanking them for the interview opportunity.  You want to make sure they still remember you favorably if you want them open as an option in the future.

bb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
Thanks, you've all been a great help (more so than my career services, I might add).

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Unfortunately, career services isn't always that helpful.  Truth is, they are very overworked. For instance, at my school, there are 3-4 people trying to place students.

Thanks, you've all been a great help (more so than my career services, I might add).
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!