Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laser Printer? wtf?  (Read 3777 times)

talkshowhost

• View Profile
    • Email
Laser Printer? wtf?
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »
Career services told me that all my resume materials should be printed by laser printer.  As I don't own one personally, this would be quite an inconvenience.  Does it seriously matter?  Are firms going to give me more of a shot if my serifs are crisper?  wtf?

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Laser Printer? wtf?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
tag ... I agree w/ the WTF-ness.

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
Eh, it's your first impression with the employer.  Probably best to make it look as good as possible.

But, it's probably not a huge deal.  My school suggested using "resume paper," but I didn't.  It's quite expensive.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
Eh, it's your first impression with the employer.  Probably best to make it look as good as possible.

But, it's probably not a huge deal.  My school suggested using "resume paper," but I didn't.  It's quite expensive.

The resume paper is worth it, the printer idea is retarded, you can't tell the difference between a good desk jet and a laser on good paper anyway.

If you are too cheap to pay .35 cents a page for good resume paper, then maybe you need to re-evaluate being an adult lol.  Buy the darn resume paper Shylock lol.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »
I used a lazer printer i think, just cause i had that, but i didnt waste my money on any stupid paper.  I mean, *&^%, the stuff i was gonna put on the paper wasnt impressive, why should the paper itself be?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »
Yeah, I have always used university printers and am not about to load 'resume paper' into those bad boys.  If someone wants to throw me out because I didn't use the heavy paper, do I want to work for such an uptight jerkass anyway? 

N.B. I do use PDF instead of .doc though. It's just nicer and it also prevents them from going "I'm going to write all over this dude's resume" on their own screen for their selfish fun.  (At least without extra software).
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
Yeah, I have always used university printers and am not about to load 'resume paper' into those bad boys.  If someone wants to throw me out because I didn't use the heavy paper, do I want to work for such an uptight jerkass anyway? 

N.B. I do use PDF instead of .doc though. It's just nicer and it also prevents them from going "I'm going to write all over this dude's resume" on their own screen for their selfish fun.  (At least without extra software).

Thoc, I gotta bust your balls buddy..... Didn't you say you had a rough time at OCI this year even though you have kick ass grades at a T25?  I have average grades at a T25 and had a good overall OCI experience.... Guess that fancy paper paid off  ;D.

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

It's not that people are being jerks by requiring resume paper--it's that it's basic business etiquette 101.  You're being unprofessional by not following a practice that is about as standard as wearing a tie to your interview...

vaplaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
Well, my resume worked out fine 1L.  Maybe I'll consider it next year.  I brought the idea up in this thread because I thought it was a useful suggestion, but I personally didn't do it.

I will say, though, I can usually tell the difference between inkjet and laser.  If you're sprinting for resume paper, might as well go the whole nine yards.

The resume paper is worth it, the printer idea is retarded, you can't tell the difference between a good desk jet and a laser on good paper anyway.

If you are too cheap to pay .35 cents a page for good resume paper, then maybe you need to re-evaluate being an adult lol.  Buy the darn resume paper Shylock lol.

talkshowhost

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
As the OP, I definitely see the value of printing on high quality paper - it demonstrates professionalism.  What I question is style of printer...I really doubt any firm is going over resumes with a magnifying glass to determine how they were printed.