Law School Discussion

Studying abroad for 1L summer?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Studying abroad for 1L summer?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »
Its also worth checking into splitting the summer between study abroad and working (thats my plan)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »
Studying abroad may seem like a good idea, but there are a few considerations to the whole thing.

First, I think it looks terrible if you come to OCI without legal experience on your resume.

If you can work it out that you can work (possibly as a research assistant if anything), think about what program you are doing.  Many schools have theme based programs that can be tricky (human rights, intellectual property, etc). 

Anyway, anything like "human rights" makes you look undesirable to a firm because it suggests that you have a strong interest in public interest and wouldnt stay.  I made the mistake of beefing up my resume with some extensive volunteer work (thinking it would help like it did in law school), but it didnt work.  A few attorneys asked me why I wasnt doing public interest law and i think many were suspicious that i was in it for the wrong thing.  Anyway, you run this risk with IP programs and anything else that can possibly pigeon hole you.

if you can get into a generic program, and get some legal experience somewhere, why the hell not right?

I interned at my neighbor's firm in NJ (not the state I want to work in) over winter break and sent out cover letters and basically just shadowed the lawyers as they did their daily work. Will that even count as experience because it was such a short time?  I am pretty sure I can get an internship with him at his firm over the summer, but it is not in the state I want to practice in, and it is a small firm and I am not sure if that is the type of field I want to get into.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
hey, it definitely counts as experience and should go into your resume.  Whether its enough experience to counter act a trip abroad this summer, I do not know. 

It seems like studying abroad is something you really want to do, and sometimes you just have to say screw the consequences and do something you want to do because you want to do it.  At least, if you go, your resume will not be empty cause you have the internship on there.  Most internships for 1L's (just coming from info from my friends) where between 6 and 10 weeks. So, if you got four weeks over christmas, you came pretty close.  I would still look into something part time or maybe go back to the firm for a few weeks before or after the study abroad program. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 01:22:29 PM »

I interned at my neighbor's firm in NJ (not the state I want to work in) over winter break and sent out cover letters and basically just shadowed the lawyers as they did their daily work. Will that even count as experience because it was such a short time?  I am pretty sure I can get an internship with him at his firm over the summer, but it is not in the state I want to practice in, and it is a small firm and I am not sure if that is the type of field I want to get into.

Did you write anything or produce any work product?