Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Placement  (Read 760 times)

redjay

• View Profile
National Placement
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »
I know t14 schools are nationally recognized and a lot of them can get you a job anywhere in the country...I'm just wondering how schools ranked a little lower like 20-40 place nationally...like maybe BC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Fordham or schools of that type...any experience or input?

redjay

• View Profile
Re: National Placement
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »
what? you guys only have anything to say about georgetown and the ivies?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »
what? you guys only have anything to say about georgetown and the ivies?

yea, G-town sucks and the ivies suck. 

thats all I have to say.

No, I think Fordham sucks to, but honestly, I just dont like schools that didnt accept me.

I know Fordham, BU, BC, GW, and WUSTL place well nationally (at least from my interactions with partners at firms and students interviewing).  I dont know that many schools outside the top 25-30 place well in general, so its hard to say they place well nationally.  Even then, I wouldnt even say that schools outside the top 14-15 even place "well."  So, whatever.  I think the five I named have a great national reputation and have a pretty good representation at least in the DC market (GW in Cali, and NY, and probably the other firms as well).  But everything is relative cause outside your school's area, geography is important.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
well what i'm really getting at is: would I get a better job in NY from a top 30 school with a national name than a t2 in the new york area?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
well what i'm really getting at is: would I get a better job in NY from a top 30 school with a national name than a t2 in the new york area?

I use to go to school in the NY area and am pretty familiar with the Tier 2s there.  I would definitely say that you are better off at a top 30 school elsewhere if you want to get into a big law job in the new york market.  I mean, the tier 2's in ny seem to place well (starting salaries average 80K+ at many), but I think the chances are better at a top 30.  The reputation seems to be good enough to carry you to NY and the alumni base is usually decent as well.

keep in mind, im no expert, but that is just my opinion.  I think the options are much better as you move up the cain and i think a degree from a top 30 will carry some weight outside your locale.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
For what its worth there are several Brooklyn Law School and New York Law School folks in my summer associate classes this summer at two V15s.  Plus, when the firms I'm working for came for OCI at my school ranked in the 30s far away from NYC they only interviewed 3 or 4 people.