Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I in the wrong place  (Read 1888 times)

depressed

• View Profile
Am I in the wrong place
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
So I got my fist semeste grades and they were all gulp: B- which is like a 2.67

I am wondering whether the grades I got mean that I should pack my bags and leave law school...

I know there is room for improvement this semester...However knowing that you are like amongthe bottom 50% is rather discouraging

McLovin

• View Profile
Re: Am I in the wrong place
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »
Didn't you already pay for this semester?

needhelp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
Yes. Drop out. You'll never succeed at anything, so start filling out your application with McDonalds.  With luck you'll be on fries by the summer!

nico

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »
Well, first, I just realized there is a reason why they wait so long to give grades....until after (at my school) you are 3 weeks into the semester...until you've bought books...they do this all b/c they don't want you to leave!!

Of course, that's lame on their part, and, I think, unfair. 

But you should not let one semester of grades--1/12th of your law school experience--make the decision for you. It should be more about you and whether law school is right for you.

At my school, the difference between being in the top quarter and the bottom half was about 4 percentage points. That's it.

What I am trying to say is, you can easily move up. Learn from last semester. Make adjustments. And make personal goals for yourself....try not to think about law school in terms of how you do in relation to others...but remember that ultimately law school is a MEANS to an END.  Just focus on the end. there are a million things that matter when being out in the job market other than grades.

And after you get your first job, work there a bit and kick some butt, you can transfer to a better job based on how you did at the first job. then they won't care at all about your first semester grades!!!

good luck!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »
I agree with the above post.  Except 1 semester is 1/6th at most law schools, not 1/12th.   ;)

And because no one's mentioned it yet, check out Kimm Walton's Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams.  Grades aren't everything, and you can get a job you love even if you're not in the top 10%.  This book has a lot of good advice on how to network, interview and get a job, regardless of your grades.

That all being said, don't despair about your grades anyway.  Talk to professors, find out where you went wrong.  Maybe look into LEEWS (which I used and recommend).  You can definitely improve your grades, get up into the top half of the class, and continue to improve from there.

nico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
Oh, oops! good thing no fraction questions appeared on my exam. thank god it's one sixth!! right. that is exciting.

thanks for the correction!!!

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:05:03 PM »
You are in the right place if you want to be there. 

Half the class is in the bottom half.  And if they all collectively dropped out, there would still be a bottom half of the class.

If your school is persuaded that you are a dope, then it likely has a mechanism to blast you to the curb. 

The issue is what you want out of life.  Stay if you want, go if you want [if your not willing to graduate in the bottom half of your class].  But remember, every law school graduates a class every year with people willing to graduate in the bottom half of the class.

sweetlawgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »
My mentor always tell me, do what you enjoy, surround yourself with inspirational people..

JacyS5 is right, they are not there to fail you.. explain your situation and don't be afraid to ask for help/guidance.