Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alright, lets talk about GULC  (Read 883 times)

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Alright, lets talk about GULC
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »
Alright, I'm starting to consider applying to GULC. I'm 8-10/317 at JMLS in Chicago (3.93). From what I can tell, I have a decent shot of getting in. However, I've never been to DC. Can anyone tell me what DC is like, compared to Chicago? I live downtown now in a 1br and pay ~$1500/month. So long as I don't have to buy a car, I can deal with high rent. However, my wife has a pretty decent job as a Conflicts Analyst at a BigLaw firm here in Chicago. Any ideas on the job market in DC for support staff? Can you really get around without a car? What about safety? I feel like where we live now is pretty safe, and I don't want my wife to be uncomfortable. How's the public transit? Can you get unlimited ride passes like you can in Chicago? Also, feel free to offer any information that I might have forgotten to ask.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, lets talk about GULC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:49:27 PM »
Why move from Chicago?  Sounds like you have a pretty good set up there.  Chicago is definitely a much cooler city than DC too (though I'm sure some may disagree). 

Check out this website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Look up John Marshall and see where grads have gotten into.  BTW, it looks pretty hard to get into GULC from a Tier 4... looks like you have to be top 5% to be competitive, and even then admission would probably be based more on soft factors than on the numbers alone.  Applying never hurts though. 

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, lets talk about GULC
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
I am a little torn as to whether I want to leave Chicago, but it's Georgetown. I'm currently top 3% in my class, 2.8 UGPA, 159 LSAT. The only thing that I have that really sets me apart is the fact I'm a licensed Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor. Other than that, I'm fairly ordinary.