Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L still looking for a job & frustrated...  (Read 2598 times)

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2L still looking for a job & frustrated...
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

I am a 2L and I did participate in OCI but since I am looking for public interest work my options were limited. I have A 3.54 GPA which places me in top 15%. I have applied to a bunch of jobs, have had people look at my cover letter and resume. What else can I do? I am currently networking with attorneys I know and doing the networking events. Do you think my lack of work experience {Very little work before law school/research assistant as a 1L} is hurting me? I need to hear some inspirational posts about people who found a job in the spring.

vaplaugh

Re: 2L still looking for a job & frustrated...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
Public interest/service employers often hire later in the year.  Check your CSO for a public interest career fair in your area.

Check this site: http://www.pslawnet.org/content/index.php?pid=54

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
It is still too early.  I got frustrated at this time last year and the offers started pouring in between late March and early April.  I ended up with 5 or so offers.

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
Dood, approx 20% of the 2Ls on my school's law review haven't found jobs yet (lower T1). It seems to be the beginning of the squeezed law employment market. try to find something, even if nonpaying, to do this summer which could still translate into a job next year. I would seriously doubt it's an experience issue as much as a "no one is hiring" issue. Hang in there and try not to let yourself panic or feel desperate.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
I keep hearing the "no one is hiring", but I'm not really seeing it in my experience. (1L, but everyone seems to be finding jobs just fine.) 

Where in the law school rankings do students start to feel the hiring pinch? 

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »
I got my 2L job at the beginning of April, and my GPA was nowhere near what yours was. It was with the City Attorney's office--which is government (some would classify as public interest--depends on your definition). 

Also, speaking from experience, if you are interested in public interest law, YOU MUST find a nonprofit to work for this summer.  Even if it doesn't pay--it will broaden your marketability when you graduate. I had an interview with a nonprofit and the ONLY reason I was turned down is because my nonprofit experience wasn't long enough, and there were other candidates that had a lot more nonprofit experience. Nonprofits really like to see that you spent A LOT of time with a nonprofit.  Six weeks and a semester (part time) wasn't enough, but a full summer, full time, would probably do it. 

Dood, approx 20% of the 2Ls on my school's law review haven't found jobs yet (lower T1). It seems to be the beginning of the squeezed law employment market. try to find something, even if nonpaying, to do this summer which could still translate into a job next year. I would seriously doubt it's an experience issue as much as a "no one is hiring" issue. Hang in there and try not to let yourself panic or feel desperate.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!