Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from Tier 4 in Chicago to Northwestern/U. of Chicago/Kent  (Read 3653 times)

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I just finished my first semester at a Tier 4 school in Chicago with a 3.93. Ranks aren't out just yet, but I expect to be near the top. Any idea on chances of transferring to Northwestern or U. of Chicago? My early research shows that Kent should be pretty easy, given my grades, but I'd obviously rather shoot a little higher. Thoughts?

jascot

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from Tier 4 in Chicago to Northwestern/U. of Chicago/Kent
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
What was your UGPA and LSAT?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:15 PM »
Not phenomenal. UGPA was 2.8ish and 159 on the LSAT.

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
Do it!  Otherwise you'll always wonder and never know for sure.  Good luck!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:40:55 PM »
transfer somewhere. maybe, if locations arent important for you, expand it a little bit.  you should do well in a transfer cycle and should be doing everything possible to get out of your school and into something competitive.  good luck, and congrats.  Knowing the tier four curves, im sure you are pretty close to the top of your class.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:49:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck on location. My wife has a pretty decent job here, and we just moved to Chicago in January. On top of that, lease timing wouldn't work out too well. So my options are limited to Chicago.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck on location. My wife has a pretty decent job here, and we just moved to Chicago in January. On top of that, lease timing wouldn't work out too well. So my options are limited to Chicago.

hahah, not true, contact the alumni base of your current school, find a decent lawyer, file for divorce, and leave her with the apartment/rent :)

just kidding obviously, from everything i have read it looks like you should be around top 5 in your class, so you have great options and im sure you will get into a great school in Chicago. 

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »
I've done a transfer within Chicago schools recently, so I will give my two cents.

First thing: good job. you rocked this semester.
Second thing:  you have to do well next semester too.
Third thing:  apply to all the schools.  You'll clearly get into Kent.  I suspect that you'll get into NU.  Chicago?  Who knows.  It costs you an extra 50 bucks to find out.
Fourth thing:  think twice about what you want before you go.  Especially if you happen to not get into NU/Chicago.  As a top student at the T4 school in Chicago, I think that your job prospects in the Chicago area are pretty good.  IMO it's not worth it to do to the move to a T2, especially given today's job market.  If you want to clerk, aim at NU/Chicago, don't bother with the other schools.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
I've had the same thoughts re: staying here and being at the top. However, here's my concern at my school. The reputation is clearly not great. There are only about 4 BigLaw firms that interview here. Further, there are only about 30 firms that do OCI here at all. Kent, according to NALP, has about 80 firms that interview, including nearly all of the BigLaw players.
After some advice I've received on here, I'm pondering a shot at GULC. The thing is, I LOVE Chicago. I've only been here a year, and I'm not sure I want to leave the city. I've never been to D.C. I don't have a car (and don't really want one). I'm not sure what it would be like to move out there. Why wife is actually surprisingly supportive of the idea, so it *might* be doable. I'm just very hesitant to pick up and move to D.C. Thoughts?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
no car needed in DC or really wanted for that mater, its a great place to go to school.  Any particular question PM me.  G-town is an iffy school, but its got great job prospects.