Law School Discussion

Re: What are the most competitive schools in Chicago? or in other other areas...

I go to a Chicago school that is not John Marshall, and I can say with experience that if you plan to stay in Chicago, go to any of the other Chicago schools if you get in. JM has an ok reputation in general in Chicago, but it is widely regarded among people in the profession as somewhat inferior to the other schools. There are many people at my school who transferred from JM, and I have to think it's for some good reason.

Bob23

• View Profile
I go to JMLS. The competition isn't too bad, at least not from what I can tell. I don't feel like I put all that much extra effort into it and I got a 3.93 after my first semester. However, I can tell you that I plan to transfer out for next fall.

Alright, sounds like John Marshall isn't where I want to end up at. I'm aiming for DePaul or Loyola, but my GPA is pretty crappy (2.8 that will be about a 2.5 after the LSAC calculates it), and I'm applying after I take the Feb test so my applications will be in real late. John Marshall is my only sure shot as of now, but I do plan on retaking the LSAT in June and if I score substantially better I'll defer at John Marshall and apply everywhere else again for Fall '09.

Though, I wonder if someone in the top of their class at John Marshall will have better employment prospects than someone in the middle of their class at another school...

p0six

• View Profile
Rule of thumb #1:
   Never base your decision on the assumption that you're going to be at the top of your class.

Rule of thumb #2:
   The competition is fierce everywhere, especially for your 1L year.

Bob23

• View Profile
Well, I don't plan to stick around to find out how one at the top of their class at John Marshall will do. I"m going to transfer. Hopefully to GULC, or maybe Kent.

From what I've heard, the competition tends to be more fierce at lower-ranked law schools because students at top law schools tend to feel more comfortable with their ability to get interviews and land a job.

What are the most competitive schools in Chicago? or in other other areas...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »
Chicago has a wide range of law schools. As of right now I'm curious as to the difference in competition at each school. Is John Marshall, or the John Marshalls in other areas, more, less, or just as competitive as Loyola or Northwestern (or similar schools in other areas)?

I'm on the verge between DePaul and Loyola, and am a sure entry to John Marshall. It seems like there has to be more fierce competition at John Marshall than there would be at DePaul or Loyola, but wouldn't everyone at DePaul and Loyola naturally be somewhat smarter or more academically inclined than those attending John Marshall?

My logic is that at the better schools you would be on a curve with people who are naturally better students/studiers, but at John Marshall the curve is so intense and everybody would be working like crazy to get above that curve.

Any input you guys might have on this question would be great... even if it's to say that they're all the same and I'm a dumb ass for thinking the competition is different at different schools.

General rule of thumb is to go to the best school possible, and all other considerations (except possibly location, if you're in the "regional" level of schools) are secondary.