Law School Discussion

Asking for more money...

Asking for more money...
« on: January 27, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
has anyone ever heard of someone doing really well their first year and getting a bump in their scholarship money? I was just curious if that was possible.

cesco

• View Profile
Re: Asking for more money...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »
In an indirect way.  My school has numerous endowed scholarships that are just for 2L and 3Ls.  The application process rewards those who have good grades, or did something else notable during their first or second year of school.

Outside of endowed scholarships, I would guess that your school's only incentive to bump your scholarship money would be to keep you from transferring (attrition rate).  If transferring is an option for you, then perhaps you could approach them with your transfer acceptance as a bargaining tool.  However, I've never actually heard of anyone doing this... just people entertaining the idea.  Maybe other posters can chime in?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Asking for more money...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
You can ask, but they might not give you any additional money.  I'd actually recommend applying to transfer somewhere higher ranked, even if you have no intention of transferring.  If you get in, that's the best bargaining chip you'll have, and many people who applied to transfer and were accepted into a higher ranked school were offered considerable sums of money to stay; some stayed, some didn't.

If I could do it over again, I'd definitely take that route because without that "scholarship or I leave" bargaining chip, I got nowhere.